Feedback on swing, how can I help her

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. This is really helpful and thank you for the visuals, it really helps me process what you are saying. As far as getting her moving a bit more we did some work on that stepping, happy gilmore drill posted above and she loved it.

Do you think getting her to put a bit of stride in will help? At the plate she has a tendency to spin out at times and take the front foot away from the pitcher. I was thinking about step one being to get her to start striding and having her start a bit closed and step toward the pitcher on the stride.
pc, spinning out and taking the front foot away from the pitcher, is different than opening up the front while maintaining the rear, if that makes sense.

Jul 23, 2014
pc, spinning out and taking the front foot away from the pitcher, is different than opening up the front while maintaining the rear, if that makes sense.

I think I've got that. We're going to work on getting the lower half in sync and properly coiled along with getting her hands to maintain the palm up/ palm down longer.

She has only ever been taught by her team coaches and received a lot of the typical stuff like hands to the ball, squish the bug, belly button to the pitcher, toe in, etc. It was a struggle for her for some time and she was very mechanical. I started to work with her on just getting herself comfortable and go from there and it made a big difference. Now she really wants to work hard and fine tune it. I'm looking forward to this experience with her.

Oct 10, 2011
Her front leg is locked the whole swing.
I like watching drag racing, and that show "Street Outlaws" on discovery channel. When they do a burn out, they have a button that locks the front side up so the power from the rear side can't do anything but spin out in place. When they launch in a race, the front brake is off and the power from the rear side launches the car forward.
You can't launch a weight shift through the ball, if the front side is holding it back.
I love that show! Now I want twin turbos on my Mustang:)

"Do you think getting her to put a bit of stride in will help?"
Pctrips, My daughter decided that she wanted to stride after doing hundreds of reps of the Happy Gilmore drills over the winter. It just became more natural to her. Also, I don't know if you have any TCB balls, but those seem to be a quick way to learn good extension without thinking about it. At least they seemed to help us.
Good luck!

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
In regards to the bottom half, I'd have her practice emulating this:

The only thing about this.......the only thing..........and I'm not going to engage in a two-week debate over it............is that in emulating the bottom half, don't let her carry her head forward as drastically as Ruth does. In doing so, she will be speeding up the pitch. The thing that made Ruth special was his eyes as much as his mechanics, and not everyone has the same visual acuity as Ruth or Pujols.

FROM THE ARCHIVE Why Babe Ruth is the Greatest Home-Run Hitter | Popular Science

Popular Science Blog - The Science of Swat

Jul 23, 2014
Part of my issue is being able to recognize things during a session and address them at the time so forgive me for posting and asking more questions. Here she is with movement as suggested trying to get the lower body involved. I still see where she is still swinging around her body but I'm interested in the lower body. She seems pretty upright but her weight is definitely shifting. Are we getting the desired effect here? She is feeling more comfortable with the added movement so I want to make sure it is helping.

By the way, if someone can tell me how to make the .gifs you make I'll do that in the future.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
pc, very good.

These are the frames we are after. If you could ask her to open the front hip a bit more into front foot plant? It has to be independent of the rear hip though. Btw, 4 frames to contact - very good.

I can see her focusing on palm up/down. This is good too, though we want the hands to finish level than up naturally. Your daughter thrusts her hands down. She needs to trust that her hands will get the barrel down to the ball, without taking the hands down. Make sense?
MannySwingPlane.gif

Don't get too technical with her. Just some minor tweaks.

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Not expecting your daughter to be Mike Trout, just using this as an example of front hip:

TroutSSC.gif

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think Howe's comments are right on. In order to get the "open front hip" that he is talking about, show her the bottom gif in post #17. The one with her swing next to a guy in a red shirt. Focus on the direction that the front foot is pointing. You do not need to be precise with this (no exact angle), but getting that front foot open a little more will assist her with getting her front hip to do what Howe is suggesting. Great job!!

May 3, 2014
I think I agree with you if you are saying that a swing should have 2 pivot points - back hip and then front hip. The girl is only using one pivot point so the hips are turning but the front hip is not active so there is no stretching of muscles as the pivot point moves from back to front that would increase the speed of the swing. The boy in the walk up drill is doing it really well. Watch his legs.

Not expecting your daughter to be Mike Trout, just using this as an example of front hip:

TroutSSC.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi