yet another Hello Elbow story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
and i realize that, but she brings up the pain issue.. There shouldnt be pain involved correct?

There should never be pain involved in pitching, especially with 9 & 10YOs. Ice is used to reduce inflammation due to INJURY. The reason you see pro athletes ice (such as football players taking ice baths) is they have sustained, chronic injuries and the ice reduces the swelling. But for the average youth softball pitcher, they should not have injuries from pitching and therefore should have no need for ice. Just my .02.

Jul 26, 2010
It is often difficult for kids of that age to understand the difference between muscle soreness and pain, and then communicate that successfully to an adult.

-W

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One of my best 10U girls is also being criticized for her style. Adults told her mom, that she would never be able to pitch in 12U. ?? This is rec ball. One coach has taken to yelling "Load!" at her batters, when my pitcher gets to the top of her circle. I am teaching my student more change ups, to counteract the adult that is yelling.

It is easy to see why HE pitchers hurt. Try shoving your elbow up in the air really hard, while landing on the ground. Now, try it 100 times.

Not that my students don't feel a little soreness. But pain probably means something is wrong. Shoulder pain is just the worst thing that I have ever felt.

Apr 7, 2012
I keep telling my DD not to let anyone tell you that your "style" is wrong and to keep doing what she is doing, even though she may not feel like the group, she should not let that get to her,l and i hope it doesn't.

Its funny because I was starting to work with one girl, and she is probably heading to the HE way of pitching just because the other girls are learning that way. Her father thought that I/R / Whipping action was more natural, but now that the head coach on our team talked to him about the way the other girls are learning, I feel like she is going to be joining the group.. its too bad that they know that but yet are going to teach her incorrectly. (and she is the one that complains about pain in the upper shoulder, only after 3 innings of pitching)..

Sep 10, 2013
I keep telling my DD not to let anyone tell you that your "style" is wrong and to keep doing what she is doing, even though she may not feel like the group, she should not let that get to her,l and i hope it doesn't.

Its funny because I was starting to work with one girl, and she is probably heading to the HE way of pitching just because the other girls are learning that way. Her father thought that I/R / Whipping action was more natural, but now that the head coach on our team talked to him about the way the other girls are learning, I feel like she is going to be joining the group.. its too bad that they know that but yet are going to teach her incorrectly. (and she is the one that complains about pain in the upper shoulder, only after 3 innings of pitching)..

absolutely stay the course. my DD switched this year and it was hard. the coach wanted her to snap up, but i told them that's NOT her style any more and will never be. she didn't get much chances to pitch for whatever reason, but every time she was on the mound she delivered.

i do have her ice after every game and practice, not because of pain, but for preventive measures.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Here's what Cindy Bristow says:

Remembering that a pitcher is only as good as her arm, here are Some Keys Regarding Icing:
1. Who should ice? Every pitcher should ice no matter how young they are
2. When to ice? Pitchers should ice following every practice and game
3. What to ice? Pitchers should ice their pitching shoulder and elbow, even if they don't hurt.
4. Icing is a tremendous preventative measure and pitcher's should do everything they can to take care of
their #1 asset - their pitching arm.
5. When playing 2 or more games in a day? If there isn't a gap between them she won't be able to ice
following the 1st game, but should ice following her last game. If her 2nd game isn't for a few hours after the 1st then she should ice after the 1st for 15 to 20 minutes, then do her normal warmups for the 2nd game, and ice again following her last game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes