yet another Hello Elbow story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 7, 2012
So my daughter is 8 years old, turning 9 this November. When she started pitching at the very beginning, she was taught Hello elbow style, and as soon as I came across this board and started researching a little bit, I immediately changed her from a more whipping style / I/R release. She just recently visited Bill Hillhouse and she just loved going to him and that one lesson helped her greatly. We look forward to going to see him again.

Anyways, we had practice yesterday and the head coach worked with the pitchers ( he is also a highschool pc) His daughter and the other girl throw HE style and my daughter is the only one that throws like she does. Another girl is debating it and what to go with and they are just looking for a coach that their DD enjoys and really it doesnt matter what style she teaches. Even though their DD has mentioned shoulder pain already.. and the #1 pitcher right now (head coaches DD) usually has to ice her arm after practices.. My DD has never once complained that her arm was getting tired or sore.. I just dont get it... :)

My DD missed one outside to a RH hitter and he actually said " I dont like that style of pitching".. I was like well i feel it is the better way for her to pitch.. It is a shame that the other two girls are stubborn in their ways and are not really open to change.. I was invited to go to their PC, but i asked what she taught and he said "That HE is the only thing way she teaches". I just wanted to vent... I will have to post some recent videos of my daughter so I can get some more pointers here and continue to take our trip to Bill when we can.

Apr 7, 2012
and i realize that, but she brings up the pain issue.. There shouldnt be pain involved correct?

Apr 7, 2012
ok.. maybe i shouldnt have put the icing thing in there. ;). I am more concerned about the pain issue.. :)

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
ok.. maybe i shouldnt have put the icing thing in there. ;). I am more concerned about the pain issue.. :)

I would try to narrow down the pain. If its a technique problem that is causing it, then it would tend to hurt during the actual pitch. Just muscle soreness typically goes away once the muscle is warm. HE (the finish with elbow to catcher) is not causing the pain problem. It is something else.

Apr 7, 2012
ok.. she has mentioned pain when pitching and then soreness in her upper shoulder after pitching awhile. I think its from her extended HE follow through... anyways i just think its a shame that the head coach wont really be able to help my DD much since all he and his DD's pitching coach are taught conflicting styles.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
"...but i asked what she taught and he said 'That HE is the only thing way she teaches.'"

Some don't remain curious. That is, some aren't students of the game anymore.

Mar 28, 2013
As a bucket Dad you are just going to have to get used to being the one that keeps her mechanics consistent. There will be a steady barrage of pitching coaches telling her she is doing it all wrong her entire career. Gone thru it with both my DDs. The hello elbow pitchers with their coaches that gave me such a hard time in the 10s and 12s are no longer even pitching cause once the Hitting got good they could not compete. Study and practice IR and work smart and hard. Like my DDs by 14 she will be become one of those pitchers that wont be receiving a bunch of comments and advise from anyone other than complements.

So my daughter is 8 years old, turning 9 this November. When she started pitching at the very beginning, she was taught Hello elbow style, and as soon as I came across this board and started researching a little bit, I immediately changed her from a more whipping style / I/R release. She just recently visited Bill Hillhouse and she just loved going to him and that one lesson helped her greatly. We look forward to going to see him again.

Anyways, we had practice yesterday and the head coach worked with the pitchers ( he is also a highschool pc) His daughter and the other girl throw HE style and my daughter is the only one that throws like she does. Another girl is debating it and what to go with and they are just looking for a coach that their DD enjoys and really it doesnt matter what style she teaches. Even though their DD has mentioned shoulder pain already.. and the #1 pitcher right now (head coaches DD) usually has to ice her arm after practices.. My DD has never once complained that her arm was getting tired or sore.. I just dont get it... :)

My DD missed one outside to a RH hitter and he actually said " I dont like that style of pitching".. I was like well i feel it is the better way for her to pitch.. It is a shame that the other two girls are stubborn in their ways and are not really open to change.. I was invited to go to their PC, but i asked what she taught and he said "That HE is the only thing way she teaches". I just wanted to vent... I will have to post some recent videos of my daughter so I can get some more pointers here and continue to take our trip to Bill when we can.

Oct 22, 2009
My DD missed one outside to a RH hitter and he actually said " I dont like that style of pitching"

I love how coaches do this.

I have one that walked 2 batters in a game the other weekend, the umpire just refused to call strikes. He yanked her from the game told her her style was a detriment to her and then put in his star, and she walked 2 batters and he said, "we wanted to walk those two".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45