Wrapping head

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
Improving/learning motor skills is such an interesting/confounding science/art.

Watching my own daughter grow/struggle, I sometimes need to remind myself of the time component. Learning movements, stabilizing them and actualizing them in game/pressure situations is such a roller coaster.

Training germination requires patience, for sure.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Yes, anytime in full motion off the mound, regardless if hitters are present or not. Better at 10, still somewhat behind the body but beginning to correct. Hoped to get a video today but raining here. Very inconsistent release point and accuracy. When u say "this might work" are you referring to the two step drill?
Not the drill, the arm/ball position itself. I have seen girls with this move pitch fine which is why I asked about downstream issues. For instance here's Blair Luna and she's close in her sling shot and at 50 seconds her full motion also shows something similar.

And also here at 12 seconds look at the arrow that says 'arm bent'.

Without video it's hard to know for sure.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2014
Not the drill, the arm/ball position itself. I have seen girls with this move pitch fine which is why I asked about downstream issues. For instance here's Blair Luna and she's close in her sling shot and at 50 seconds her full motion also shows something similar.

And also here at 12 seconds look at the arrow that says 'arm bent'.

Without video it's hard to know for sure.

Great video, thanks so much for finding this. I definitely see the similarities. Hope to get a video soon.

Aug 20, 2017
She’s getting open too early. The arm circle should open the body. In the frame you posted she should just be beginning to get open. I’ve seen this a bunch on girls that get open early. Causes all kinds of arm circle problems.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Great video, thanks so much for finding this. I definitely see the similarities. Hope to get a video soon.
Most pitchers have a fairly straight arm on the upswing and add the flex/bend as they come over the top, like Cat O. Others have the flex on the upswing and how they hold the ball, palm up, down, or in between, can determine the path of the ball circle.

As to whether she's opening too early you need to look at video, still shots don't tell the whole story. Look at Cat at 2 seconds and 18 seconds when the ball is at 9 o'clock. As a still shot she looks to be too open too early, that's because she holds her glove arm in roughly the same position while her throwing arm rotates.

Aug 20, 2017
Most pitchers have a fairly straight arm on the upswing and add the flex/bend as they come over the top, like Cat O. Others have the flex on the upswing and how they hold the ball, palm up, down, or in between, can determine the path of the ball circle.

As to whether she's opening too early you need to look at video, still shots don't tell the whole story. Look at Cat at 2 seconds and 18 seconds when the ball is at 9 o'clock. As a still shot she looks to be too open too early, that's because she holds her glove arm in roughly the same position while her throwing arm rotates.

Agreed! Cat doesn’t seem to be “trying” to get open as many young ones do. Her shoulders are reacting to the arm circle. Nice video

Nov 15, 2014
Finally got some video today at the end. Tried to have her focus on staying more square on the drive out today. Also changed the hand position to back of hand facing catcher. Long and loose, seems to me she is trying to muscle the ball at 9 oclock and not letting the arm whip freely.
Sock drill she had a hard time at first and had to feel she was really exaggerating the arm circle to keep it from going behind her. Still couldn’t keep it out when she got on the rubber with the ball.
She does crow hop but to me that can be addressed later, one thing at a time. Does that need to be addressed now as part of the problem too?
Would love to help her confidence by finding more consistency. Not looking to throw 60, but that would be great! Just able to control her pitch. 👍🏻

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2014
We also looked at the Blair Luna video and I assured her she will be fine but there are certain points in the windup that need to be hit. Thanks for sharing Armwhip!

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
She does open a little too early but she looks decent overall. She opens a bit on the backswing and never gets back to where she should be. She has an exceptional amount of arm flex in the downswing, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Coming out of the glove is something to play around with, it should help keep her from opening too early. Sometimes focusing on increasing the force of the upswing helps with limiting the early opening. She looks like she might 'placing' the ball at the top of the circle instead of swinging it up and over the top. So that is another thing to try. The other thing that catches my eye is the leap, it's not a crow hop because she doesn't replant. She gets too bent over at push off and never gets her hips back under her shoulders, doesn't get back to being 'stacked'. It's common for pitchers to get too bent over in an effort to have a strong leap. If you look at the 2nd Luna video when the ball/arm is halfway into the upswing (9 o'clock in this video) her torso is almost vertical. Compare this to the video of your student and you can see how much more she is still leaning over. Some of this has to do with quad dominant pushoff vs utilizing the glutes more. A little fine tuning and she'll be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi