Would you take this girl?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2013
Sounds like she should be the #1 pick for the A team. Wait, you didn't say you were coaching so that's out. Sarcasm of course. I would consider taking her for the simple reason that you are a realist and know her limitations. It's much easier to have filler players when this exists. Which isn't very often.

My plan is to go on Shark Tank to get financial backing to mass produce some parental sport rose colored glasses. I figure if I can mass produce them and get them to market for a good price I can be a billionaire in about a month. Okay, 3 months.

As Eric said base running is a huge part, and can increase a players worth a lot. I tell the girls that not everyone can hit a curve ball, but anyone should be able to run the bases. It does take more brain power than a lot of people think. My DD is not near the fastest, but has the highest stolen base percentage (including home) because she has instincts and is able to read pitches. Good luck

Oct 7, 2015
Well i got my answer. They did not choose her for the 12B team. They chose a girl who averages 37 MPH (and is playing up from 10U) and another girl who throws 39 MPH. Both girls are better all around players and good athletes. However my daughter throws 48 MPH and throws more strikes.

A little frustrated. She will get to play on a 12C team so at least she'll still get to play.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Well i got my answer. They did not choose her for the 12B team. They chose a girl who averages 37 MPH (and is playing up from 10U) and another girl who throws 39 MPH. Both girls are better all around players and good athletes. However my daughter throws 48 MPH and throws more strikes.

A little frustrated. She will get to play on a 12C team so at least she'll still get to play.

A suggestion...Review your original post. Take a close look at the items you indicated where your DD could improve or is below average. Put some serious focus on improving those areas.

A player with average all-around abilities is often more attractive to coaches than a player who is good at one thing, but a liability everywhere else.

Nov 18, 2013

Where are u getting these speeds and are they all average or top end? A girl averaging 48 who can throw strikes should have no trouble making a 12U B tram. Also 37 and 39 would be extremely slow for that level for a #1 pitcher.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2016

She will be fine. The good thing is that she will probably get to pitch a lot. I know several girls who were 16A pitchers after being 12C pitchers. They had similar velocity to your DD at that age. Possibly more important is the fact that she will probably get to hit and play the field in 12C. She needs to work on defense and hitting right? Stay positive and keep her positive about the situation. She can learn a heck of a lot and get to develop multiple skills at 12C.

Oct 7, 2015
Where are u getting these speeds and are they all average or top end? A girl averaging 48 who can throw strikes should have no trouble making a 12U B tram. Also 37 and 39 would be extremely slow for that level for a #1 pitcher.

I'm coaching the C team. Wasn't going to if she made B of course. I stood there last night while each girl pitched about 15 pitches at the tryout with my pocket radar. Those are legit average numbers.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2015
She will be fine. The good thing is that she will probably get to pitch a lot. I know several girls who were 16A pitchers after being 12C pitchers. They had similar velocity to your DD at that age. Possibly more important is the fact that she will probably get to hit and play the field in 12C. She needs to work on defense and hitting right? Stay positive and keep her positive about the situation. She can learn a heck of a lot and get to develop multiple skills at 12C.

Yes I agree. A little part of me is irritated but you're right. She will get more playing time on this team and that will probably be best for her.

Oct 7, 2015
A suggestion...Review your original post. Take a close look at the items you indicated where your DD could improve or is below average. Put some serious focus on improving those areas.

A player with average all-around abilities is often more attractive to coaches than a player who is good at one thing, but a liability everywhere else.

yes you are right. I will be working with her on those things. Just venting a little. :)

Jun 12, 2015
How did the location compare between the 3? If I had to pick between a very fast but wild/inconsistent pitcher, or a slower one who could hit her locations pretty consistently, I'd take the slower one personally. But that's a huge speed difference and high 30s is pretty darn slow for 12U.

Nov 18, 2013

Sounds like you have a legitimate beef then. Even so, take it in stride and look at the positive of how many innings she'll get and for the opportunity to gain confidence at her other skills.

FWIW first year of 12's DD was on a C leve rec team and things worked out ok.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad