Worst Non Softball Sport for Softball Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
I would avoid track just because meets are just boring. Basketball is a pretty tough sport. I played Football baseball and basketball in HS and I got hurt in Basketball more than the other 2 combined. Volleyball seems like a sport that you could break some fingers easily but not sure how true that is. I don't think golf messes up your swing much.

Oct 10, 2018
Tennis - DD started out with tennis very young and gave it up for softball. It's been YEARS and she still drops the head on her bat a bit as if it were a tennis racquet. It also is where she picked up her tendency toward tendonitis.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Basketball would be my pic. It seems like every time I see a girls in a cast, walking boot, or knee brace and you ask them how they got hurt they tell you playing basketball.

I have no data to back up my claim, just going off what I see. My daughter also plays travel basketball, there are certainly times when I question letting her play basketball.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018
I have heard that as well about golf, but has anyone actually experienced that? DD wants to play golf next year.

I'm not sure about Golf messing up a softball swing.....but I can tell you that my softball swing sure doesn't help me have a good golf swing. It's awful, and my golf ball almost never goes straight either and I'm not sure it ever will 🙄

Jun 19, 2016
IMO, cheerleading or soccer. I've seen and heard of too many girls messing up their backs, knees and ankles doing stunts, cheerleading. Plus I've heard of other catastrophic injuries happening to girls in cheerleading where a stunt got messed up. In soccer, I've heard of girls costing themselves their seasons messing up with ACL tears, sprained ankles and broken legs.
most of the Softball girls I know would be terrible at cheerleading... unless you count their softball cheers. But the actual tumbling...etc. I can't imagine that ending well.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
most of the Softball girls I know would be terrible at cheerleading... unless you count their softball cheers. But the actual tumbling...etc. I can't imagine that ending well.

I could see some softball players not being good at cheerleading. I did both in school starting my junior year. Cheer was fun but all the drama was one of the not-so-fun parts of doing the sport. I've become creative with my softball cheers from my days of being a cheerleader. So much fun. But I can see some of the tumbling not ending well.

Apr 20, 2015
Well mine plays soccer and basketball and softball so I guess we're ultimately acl screwed, but 1 p5 I know got a stress fracture weight lifting and another an acl during powder puff football. Sometimes shirt just happens so we're going to role the dice as long as she wants to. We do a lot of personal training work on quad balance and things that are supposed to help prevent acl injuries in female athletes so we will see.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 23, 2015
For female knee injuries any sport that requires cutting and cutting while training. Gym floor sports because the shoes are so sticky and there's no give. Artificial turf is terrible on knees. Females are most vulnerable to knee injuries during their period. Research has show time and time again that ligaments loose rigidity during that time

Also, you're more likely to get injured during practice because the majority of coaches are stupid and don't understand this.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD's former college teammate decided she wanted to tryout for the college basketball team and most likely could have earned a roster spot. During the tryout she tore her meniscus (2nd time) and was out of the beginning of the softball season that year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah