World Cup Observations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
That announcer was Michele Smith. She was one of the best pitchers in her day. But she will drive you crazy with her game comments.

She also said the batters who were hitting home runs were doing a good job keeping their weight back on the back foot at Point of Contact. I thought the point of the stride and toe touch was to get to a firm front side (i.e. weight shift) and not to stay back on your back foot? I'm confused.

May 1, 2011
This just goes to show that even one of the greats has had trouble UNLEARNING the things she was taught back in the day. I don't feel so bad.

But, ignorance is still out there. Listened to a guy all weekend long tell his daughter three things that were like nails on a chalkboard:
1. Squish The Bug
2. Get your arms extended
3. Swing down at the ball (she consistently hit pop flies to the pitcher and shortstop all weekend)

I tried one time, in between games, to pull him to the side, and just talk to him for a little bit about some of the things he's teaching (his daughter has a TON of potential, and really loves the game). He didn't want to hear it. Oh well. Can't save them all.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
This just goes to show that even one of the greats has had trouble UNLEARNING the things she was taught back in the day. I don't feel so bad.

But, ignorance is still out there. Listened to a guy all weekend long tell his daughter three things that were like nails on a chalkboard:
1. Squish The Bug
2. Get your arms extended3. Swing down at the ball (she consistently hit pop flies to the pitcher and shortstop all weekend)

I tried one time, in between games, to pull him to the side, and just talk to him for a little bit about some of the things he's teaching (his daughter has a TON of potential, and really loves the game). He didn't want to hear it. Oh well. Can't save them all.

Agree #1 & 3 are not optimal. Not to pick a fight but it depends on what he meant by "get your arms extended". If it is before POC of contact I agree with you that it is not a good swing thought; however if he meant to mean "extend the arms towards the direction of the hit ball after point of contact in an effort to hit the ball as long as possible" than I would generally agree with him.

By the way, "hitting down on the ball" never has made sense to me unless you are a slapper with the goal of just trying to put the ball in play. Still see it taught all the time (squish the bug too!). If every coach had an open mind to learn new things, how much better would the players (and coaches) be today!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Yes, I was cringing when I heard some of the comments too -- especially the description of the hitter keeping her weight on her back side and spinning on one of the home runs. She didn't stride, but she definitely shifted her weight forward.

I guess when you get to a certain point of accomplishment you're not interested in new information. That's too bad. Fortunately I don't have that problem.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
It has definitely been questionable. I am for USA as well, but I can't help but think if I was connected to the Japanese team I'd feel like I was getting "homered."

That play with the runner on third getting hit with the batted ball was just bizarre. Couldn't really tell from the camera angles if she was fair or foul when she was hit. It sort of looked like she was in fair territory from one angle, foul from another. But I was definitely wondering why there was no one on first if the ball hit her in fair territory. Glad they at least caught that.

Oct 25, 2009
A blown call at 1st against us this time. I don't agree with the diving at 1st. I think it's actually slower than running through the bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes