World Cup Observations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
My daughter and I were watching Team USA play Britain yesterday. One of the announcers was driving me nuts talking about extension at contact. Every time one of team USA players hit a homerun, this particular announcer would comment on how the batter was able to get their arms extended at contact. I have a dvr and played back every swing she said this about. Each time I froze the batter at contact. None of the batters were close to being extended at contact. All the batters had their back arm in the shape of an "L" at contact. Their arms didn't extend until well after contact; during their follow through. I wonder how many young girls watched this and will now be practicing extending their arms at contact?

In the 3rd inning team USA has runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out. Team USA's coach is miked. He calls time to talk to the batter. He tells her to hit it on the ground in order to force the defense to make a play. Apparently there is no place in fastpitch for a sacrifice fly ball. The batter is a slapper and swings down at the pitch to try and hit it on the ground. The bat intersects the back side of the ball resulting in an easy pop up to the pitcher. It makes me wonder if coaches at the highest level understand that swinging down increases the odds of a pop up. I understand that slappers specialize in chopping the ball into the ground, but I just thought it was interesting for a slapper to swing down on a low pitch and still manage to pop it up.

Team USA ends up scoring 10 runs. They hit three homeruns in the 4th inning. One was a grand slam. After the game they interviewed the player who hit the grand slam. She said she was thinking about trying to hit it on the ground and got a pitch out over the plate. She is a power hitter and when I played back her swing it was the typical power baseball swing that more and more fastpitch players are adopting today. So the hitters are using mechanics that allow them to drive the ball and the coaches are telling them to swing down and hit ground balls.

Nine of the ten runs scored by team USA came on three homeruns and a line drive double in the left-center gap that one hopped the fence. The other came off of an error on a ground ball to the 2nd basemen that should have been an easy out. If nine out of ten runs come off of balls hit in the air, why are the coaches telling players to hit in on the ground? After the 3rd homerun, I bet the pitcher was wishing the batters would keep it on the ground.

Jun 18, 2010
We have been watching the WC too. That 10 run inning yesterday was fun to watch. I don't understand why a pitching change wasn't made by GB. One thing that I noticed was the difference in pitching speeds between Team USA and Australia and GB. Team USA pitchers seemed to throw much faster than Australia and GB. I didn't notice the same difference when they faced Japan, and I didn't get to see the game against Canada.

Oct 25, 2009
That announcer was Michele Smith. She was one of the best pitchers in her day. But she will drive you crazy with her game comments.

At the time the coach called for that ground ball they hadn't scored yet. With a slapper at bat you would think she would be able to put it down and bring that run in.

A few years ago when everyone was being taught to swing down I used to demonstrate to the girls how you can swing sharply down and still hit a rising line drive. You can really put some heat on a ball by swinging down BUT you have to be pinpoint accurate. The necessary accuracy is what makes swinging down less efficient than staying long through the zone.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I can hit down, with the best of them. :)

I thought that the coach was wanting his slapper to bounce the ball high off of the infield. That is what it would have meant at U of A. They manicure the infield, so that they can do that.

Anyway, the games have been great and I don't listen to the announcers.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It seems like a few of the USA pitchers have a lot of extra body movement when pitching the ball.

DD finds it interesting to watch all the gyrations they seem to go through while delivering the ball. With my luck she is going to try am imitate some of them.

May 1, 2011
@ Softballphreak - Darn tootin' on the swinging down putting some heat on the ball if you hit it square. Lance Berkman's right handed swing is a perfect example of this. I remember watching him in the homerun derby when it was in Houston, and the balls coming off his bat had a different trajectory than Tejada's but were just sailing forever. Looks awkward, but it's worked for him.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
That announcer was Michele Smith. She was one of the best pitchers in her day. But she will drive you crazy with her game comments.

Without seeing it, that would've been my guess. it seems to me every time she "explains" something she is wrong. drives me crazy!
I don't want my DD hearing her and thinking it's true because she's on TV.

Jul 26, 2010
I can't get past so many of the players swinging Easton bats. You would think that they were not college educated, and did not realize that the reason they are playing in the Cholesterol Fried Chicken "world cup" and not the Olympic Games was due to the decision of Jim Easton not to back baseball/softball in the Games.

-W

Oct 25, 2009
I can't get past so many of the players swinging Easton bats. You would think that they were not college educated, and did not realize that the reason they are playing in the Cholesterol Fried Chicken "world cup" and not the Olympic Games was due to the decision of Jim Easton not to back baseball/softball in the Games.

-W

I prefer a World Cup myself. We can have that every year instead of every four. We don't need the Olympics. 67,000 in attendance at the WCWS should tell advertisers there's a market. ESPN is doing a great job with softball coverage and it's going to grow!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Starsnuffer, I wondered about that, too. I don't give Jim Easton any of my money. I wonder if some of the girls have bat contracts or something? Or maybe he gave them the bats?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes