windmill arm speed 12-10

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
tonight i was trying to get my grand daughters 12 and 10 better control and speed, and i tried getting them to slow down their up swing and whip it on the down swing, seenmed to help, games tomorrow night, any thoughts on that procedure. we are in development stage.
thanks

Dec 30, 2009
tonight i was trying to get my grand daughters 12 and 10 better control and speed, and i tried getting them to slow down their up swing and whip it on the down swing, seenmed to help, games tomorrow night, any thoughts on that procedure. we are in development stage.
thanks
To learn most any skill it helps to slow things down so you can better develop a feel for what you are defining (such as whip ); but I'm concerned by your expectation for application in your games tomorrow night- it often takes weeks and months of work to significantly apply "whip" action effectively in competition. So as beginners these kids will tend to be controlled by their dominate habits tomorrow to be realistic; but the day after tomorrow continue to drill "whip" at gradually increasing speeds in between their games. If your granddaughters are in a beginning development stage as you say, the games are almost like interference to your "whipping" objectives for two to six months. ( This time-line is hard to define! ) I would also say that I"m assuming that you know what "whip" action is. Ultimately "whip" action will be most effectively expressed with an explosive upswing of the pitching arm on the front side as your granddaughters learn to thrust violently off the pitching rubber. ( As much as anything I'm trying to temper your expectations for change!!)

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Thanks
Just wanted to get some feed back, they have been in motion for a couple years, but the rec league pitching is going to have to go. I realize that one day is no miracle by any means. They know what is necessary, but as you say it's after, best, however they are adaopt enough to put some open and whip into it.
Thought there may be a couple drills that works well that someone uses.
tks

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
I don't like young girls using a delivery that features a windmill that is "lazy" until the arm reaches past 12:00, then they try to accelerate it thru the release point. Girls have minimal upper body strength, so instead of developing speed in the arm circle and IR type mechanisms, they will pull their arm thru with their body in a closing movement, thus dragging their arm forward. In addition to potential injury from the extreme twisting etc, their body also is prone to being thrown off to the side of the power line (lunging). Lots of bad things result, including extreme difficulty with location control.
I instruct my players to use the windmill to build speed, and do it early in the windmill -- accelerate the arm early, in the swing forward, continue to accelerate it in the sweep up and back, achieve max speed when pulling the elbow down to the release point. Think of a smooth powerful build of arm speed, rather than an abrupt snap during the last stage of the pitch.
jim

Last edited:

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I understand, that, i should have noted my intent was at a closer distance, not full pitching distance more to create a rhythm if you will and control.. To another degree almost loosening up .

thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves