Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
* I am neither a parent nor a pitcher.
Y'all have to make a decision for yourself! Just like catchers have to figure out how many games in one day they're going to catch!
Enjoy the journey!

When you were 12 or 14 and you felt your body had enough for the day, and the coach told you to go out for another inning, what would you have done? I'm pretty sure you would put your gear on and get behind the plate because that's what she told you to do, and you didn't want to let her or your teammates down. The kids who are strong enough to push back are unicorns.

Saying that it's up to the kids to stand up to the coaches is absurd. It's up to the adults to take care of the kids, period.

May 13, 2023
Saying that it's up to the kids to stand up to the coaches is absurd. It's up to the adults to take care of the kids, period.
Here is the rest of my post where I replied to you, that you excluded

Screenshot_20230712-051452_Chrome.jpg

( Tried to bring into the conversation at what point/age parents advocate. What point player start advocating for themselves?
Which I think is an important question because coach's coach differently and parents parent differently...
These things could create gray area.
At a certain point/age a coach might think a player would speak up for themselves. Or might think their parents would speak up. How would the coach know there was a problem if no one spoke up? Even though some things might seem obvious to a lot of people they're not obvious to everyone.
Because some players speak up and some don't. Some parents helicopter everything, while others leave everything up to the coach. Think it's a very important question.)

To clarify my comment AGAIN,
Because there is no standard pitch count rule across all softball venue.
Said
>>> Everyone has to make decisions for themselves.
>>> Which encourages people to
>>> Be involved in the decision making!

For those that do not pay attention to making a decision will reap the result of someone else's decision for them.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021
Of course parents should be advocating for their kids. Perhaps you didn't read all posts 🤷‍♀️ in long thread and missed some of the discussion points brought up. Never said children have to advocate for themselves. I used the word people.

( In fact tried to bring into the conversation at what point parents keep advocating and then what point young people start advocating for themselves?
Which I think is an important question because coach's coach differently and parents parent differently and that guideline might vary pending the adults.
At a certain point a coach might think a young person would speak up for themselves. At the same time a young person might think their parents would speak up and young person would say nothing. Because some kids speak up and some kids don't. And some parents leave everything up to the coach and tell their kid do what the coach says. Think it's a very important question)

To clarify my comment AGAIN,
Because there is no standard pitch count rule across all softball venue.
>>> Said everyone has to make decisions for themselves.
>>> which encourages people to
>>> Be involved in the decision making!

For those that do not pay attention to making a decision (advocate for their children or themselves) will reap the result of someone else's decision for them.
That is kind of an odd way to look a discussion about a rule that would be put in place to protect the health of the players. Under that premise there should be no rules about sliding, double bases at first base, wearing a face mask, wearing a helmet. Just have the rules of the game and let each parent decide how everything else plays out.

May 13, 2023
That is kind of an odd way to look a discussion about a rule that would be put in place to protect the health of the players. Under that premise there should be no rules about sliding, double bases at first base, wearing a face mask, wearing a helmet. Just have the rules of the game and let each parent decide how everything else plays out.
You are talking about a rule (that doesn't exist across all softball venues.) And I am commenting on reality of the current situation.
There could be different rules for a lot of things and they have changed over the years.

At one point college baseball mandatory had to wear batting helmets. But we did not in college softball. However wearing a batting helmet was an option.

Elbow guard when hitting I think is very important. But it is not mandatory. Some coaches make it mandatory. Some parents make it mandatory.

I actually brought up somewhere in the thread there may be parents who have told their kids they don't want them diving for a ball until they're say 14 years old. Could be different standards for different folks.

Again even without rules people still have to make decisions.

This is a very long thread I can understand if folks have not read all of it, I certainly haven't.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
224 post and I don't believe anyone has addressed my question. How in the heck would a pitch count rule be policed or enforced? Umps check GC before games at plate meeting. "OK, Coach I see here that Jenny can only throw 27 pitches this game." Maybe you hire special PCM (Pitch Count Monitors) that count and track every pitcher? They would have to be certified and paid.$$$$. What's the penalty for exceeding the pitch count?
224 post about an abstract rule change idea.

May 13, 2021
224 post and I don't believe anyone has addressed my question. How in the heck would a pitch count rule be policed or enforced? Umps check GC before games at plate meeting. "OK, Coach I see here that Jenny can only throw 27 pitches this game." Maybe you hire special PCM (Pitch Count Monitors) that count and track every pitcher? They would have to be certified and paid.$$$$. What's the penalty for exceeding the pitch count?
224 post about an abstract rule change idea.
They do this in baseball in every tournament.

May 13, 2023
How do they do it?
How many games does baseball play in a weekend?
What is the pitch count limits for each pitcher?
Is it per game, day or per week?
How many baseball teams are there in one weekend tournament?

Then this conversation can revolve AGAIN back to who is going to follow pitch counts. And who is going to follow the teams that are playing in ongoing games in a tournament.

Screenshot_20230705-175853_Chrome.jpg
With what's left you can make soup

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
How many games does baseball play in a weekend?
What is the pitch count limits for each pitcher?
Is it per game, day or per week?
How many baseball teams are there in one weekend tournament?

Then this conversation can revolve AGAIN back to who is going to follow pitch counts. And who is going to follow the teams that are playing in ongoing games in a tournament.

View attachment 28360
With what's left you can make soup
Baseball gets a smaller game guarantee. It's usually four instead of five, or maybe as low as three. Oh, and the cost is double the cost of softball, in most cases.

Our local LL and HS both monitor pitch counts and IP. I guess it's on the honor system, but the rules in LL carry serious consequences for breaking them. I suppose you could play for two different teams and not get caught, but it seems so engrained into their culture that it rarely happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi