Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
You are the one making a Fluff of dust for no reason. I already commented about parents inclusion of decisions over their children.
View attachment 28306

Why don't you talk about when you think parents should be making a decision instead of picking at me which is completely irrelevant.
Talk about avoidance...
What's the real issue you're mad?....
at yourself for the decision you made when you were injured? or because your parents didn't make a decision for you that might have been better? Maybe that's why you're taking issue with this topic🤷‍♀️ hope you find a way to work through it. Got to go now.
You posted before my edit. I have no issue with the decision I made. I do have an issue with you making zero sense 1/2 the time.

May 27, 2013
The other issue with there not being pitching limitations is if that kid (10U - 18U, even college) does speak up to advocate for themselves, many coaches will either tell the kid to take a hike or won’t play them.

May 13, 2023
You posted before my edit.
Ok fair enough.

I have no issue with the decision I made.
good
I do have an issue with you making zero sense 1/2 the time.
LOL if you didn't get the point that people have to make their own decisions don't know what to say after that.
50% of the time I think you dodge the point being made just trying to kick the dirt you want to up. And tag it to people on here instead of making your own point. 😁 P. Attar style.

May 13, 2023
imo best posts of this thread

I could see a few changes.
1. Teams might try to run up counts leading to more total pitches. I could definitely see a team trying to get a pitcher out of the game.
2. Teams May elect to forfeit a pool game to save pitching.
3. Teams may have to forfeit a bracket game or throw a non pitcher. Many teams I know of do not have adequate pitching to go deep in tournaments, however this is normally not an issue for these teams because of rarely advancing deep into bracket.
4. Teams maybe disbanded.
5. Double elimination tournaments may disappear.
6. Many teams play league and develop pitchers to save better pitchers for the weekend. Could see some pitching top pitchers since weekend would be limited. #1 might pitch same amount.
7. Pitchers, particularly within an org, being pressured to sub more.

Some may not be bad, and others may exist.

May 13, 2023
imo Other best post of this thread #2

I have always been in favor of a common sense approach. Unfortunately some people/coaches seem to be challenged when it comes to common sense. Sorry...

• Pitch count -- can be tricky because what do you actually count? Do warm ups count? Throwing in a bull pen is not the same as throwing live in a game. DD's warm up routine was mostly walk throughs. She would only throw 15 to 20 actual "pitches" during a pre-game warm up.
  • Innings -- There can be a huge difference from inning to inning. My DD's favorite thing was a 3 pitch inning and she had several of them throughout the years. That said, I have seen innings that were 30 pitches or more.
  • Games -- Huge differences again. I remember one no-hitter that DD threw. It was against a weaker team and the game only went 5 innings. I don't remember the exact number, but her count was in the low 40's. She has also had games that she threw well over 100 pitches. One high school game comes to mind. The game went 11 innings and her pitch count was close to 140.
We could build a system that would take all of these factors into consideration but then it may be difficult for people to track or utilize. Honestly, I'm not sure what the right answer is.

Enjoy the journey!

Jun 8, 2016
LOL if you didn't get the point that people have to make their own decisions don't know what to say after that.
I got that..not exactly a groundbreaking insight.

What I want to know is what is your stance regarding the topic at hand…not the First Lemma of life. Should softball have pitch limitations in youth softball or do you think we should continue to allow players/parents/coaches to decide what is best for themself/their player. Sounds like you are leaning towards the latter if I am interpreting your use of Life Lemma #1 properly.

I would say the latter as well (since there will be some decent variation amongst players regarding what is reasonable ) if you could trust that the adults involved (including their own parents) always had the kid’s best interest in mind but unfortunately that isn’t always the case.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
Do they get plaques?
Yes. Those posts bring the conversation forward to the situation that could happen.

Because I have already commented thoroughly and it is historically bound documented in the internet (you can reread it if you want)
will conclude with these comments...
Until there is a way to control and follow pitch counts, the topic Pitch counts will be irrelevant.
Therefore everyone has to make their own decision!

Like this one also that shows example of the predicament that could follow.
I'm in favor of pitch counts or other limits. But it will end up with the same issue as baseball - kids playing on multiple teams with no coordination between the coaches. The pitcher plays in a weekend tourney with his travel team and pitches whatever the limit is. Then he has rec league game on Monday and pitches again. Then he has games with his school team on Tuesday and Friday and pitches yet again. Then another tournament with the travel team on the weekend. And so on.

Yes it's up to the parents to monitor it, but a lot of parents have little or no knowledge and trust the coaches. And the coaches don't always know that the kid pitched the day before, or they don't care because they need him to pitch for them.
➡️➡️➡️It is up to parents to monitor it.
In my opinion if parents were already outraged by the situation they would have put enough pressure on this topic that there would already be pitch counts.
From that comment I don't think all pitchers or their parents want pitch counts.

* I am neither a parent nor a pitcher.
Y'all have to make a decision for yourself! Just like catchers have to figure out how many games in one day they're going to catch!
Enjoy the journey!

Jun 8, 2016
Pitch counts are irrelevant because there will be no way to control following it.
Thank you. I agree that across multiple teams (eg a kid pitches for multiple teams at once) it will be difficult to enforce. However in a single tournament it is already done in youth baseball. It isn’t that difficult in that case.

Jun 8, 2016
➡️➡️➡️It is up to parents to monitor it.
In my opinion if parents were already outraged by the situation they would have put enough pressure on this topic that there would already be pitch counts.
From that comment I don't think all pitchers or their parents want pitch counts.
See this is where I disagree. There are plenty of situations in society where there are rules in place to account for negligent parents 🤷🏽‍♂️ (granted this isn’t nearly as important as most of the situations those rules are for) Maybe you don’t agree with that either which is your right.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild