Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Share this story,

In high school very important game was held at the local Junior College. Along their foul fence line at the bottom was cement that stood out a couple inches above the ground and was about 6 inches inside the fence. I was playing third.
A foul pop-fly went down the line and coming down right next to the base of the fence I slid onto both knees to get under it. Caught the ball and rammed the inside section of my right knee directly into the corner of the cement.
( thankfully I always wore knee pads and that absorbed a slight amount of the impact)
Nonetheless it was gnarly and we had a slight game delay for me to try and recover.

Our catcher ran down the line to me and was kneeling next to me. I remember leaning on her leg grabbing my own leg in pain.
My coach Colleen Silva came over to me and she had her arm around my shoulders and she said to me
"Susan you have to live in that body the rest of your life, it is your decision if you want to stay in the game."

After walking around a little bit and washing my face with some cold water I stayed in the game.

My knee took some serious damage including a scar even though the skin was not broken. It had a numb spot for at least a year. And I do believe I sustained an injury I still have to this day.

My response to this discussion is
"We have to live in our body the rest of our life
We all have our own decision to make!"

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
My response to this discussion is
"We have to live in our body the rest of our life
We all have our own decision to make!"
HS is not the same as 10u in terms of deciding how to deal with one’s own body..

I kept playing on a torn ACL in HS (deciding to put off surgery till after the season). I doubt anyone would allow a 10YO to make that decision.

May 13, 2023
HS is not the same as 10u in terms of deciding how to deal with one’s own body..

I kept playing on a torn ACL in HS (deciding to put off surgery till after the season). I doubt anyone would allow a 10YO to make that decision.
Now I think you're just being silly. Trying to kick up some dust because you're bored
Of course parents are part of decision making for their children. At some point not so much.

May 13, 2023
I kept playing on a torn ACL in HS (deciding to put off surgery till after the season).
Did your parents know about your torn ACL when you are in high school? Obviously you did. So you are allowed to make your own decision?

Jun 8, 2016
Did your parents know about your torn ACL when you are in high school? Obviously you did. So you are allowed to make your own decision?
Of course they knew. I got an MRI and was told I could do no more damage to it by playing. So I was given the option of rehabbing it to the point I could play (with it taped from ankle to thigh) and have the surgery after the season which I took. That said, I was in HS, not 10 YO. The point is some 10YO are throwing 400 pitches in a day and saying “you are responsible for your own body” isn’t relevant at that age.

May 13, 2023
Of course they knew. I got an MRI and was told I could do no more damage to it by playing. So I was given the option of rehabbing it to the point I could play (with it taped from ankle to thigh) and have the surgery after the season which I took. That said, I was in HS, not 10 YO. The point is some 10YO are throwing 400 pitches in a day and saying “you are responsible for your own body” isn’t relevant at that age.

Since you are talking about the responsibility to make decisions over the child...
perhaps add your comment on what age a parent should or should not be making that decision.

Could be there are parents out there that are telling their child I don't want you diving for the ball until you're 14 or something 🤷‍♀️

My comment was pretty clear about people will have to make decisions for themselves. Parenting included.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Since you are talking about the responsibility to make decisions over the child...
perhaps add your comment on what age a parent should or should not be making that decision.

Could be there are parents out there that are telling their child I don't want you diving for the ball until you're 14 or something 🤷‍♀️

My comment was pretty clear about people will have to make decisions for themselves. Parenting included.
Should a 10 YO decide how many pitches she can throw? Yes or no. Stop talking in circles.

Personally by 14u I think a kid can have some input into that decision

May 27, 2013
Now I think you're just being silly. Trying to kick up some dust because you're bored
Of course parents are part of decision making for their children. At some point not so much.

I do believe the OP was referring to younger players by what was posted in the beginning of this thread, hence the mentioning of the 10U age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah