Why so much talk about pitching speed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Geneva, Switzerland
I see some good comments. Speed and control will come along together, if the proper mechanics are there as a base. But, it does mean throwing 10s of thousands of pitches to get to world class level. That is the only way that the strength, stamina and muscle memory will all come together. There is no easy way to become a world class fastball pitcher. Aside from that, anybody have comments on drills which try to build up the motion vs complete motion from day one? For instance, I see many pitchers who can do a drill just fine, but their full motion is totaly useless. My preference is full motion training.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The point about playing "pitch and catch" underhanded is the same as bigdaddy. It is a greatly overlooked skill.

I don't how many kids I've seen that are trying to learn how to pitch, but 90% can't play pitch and catch underhanded. Why?

In my experience, if you a pitcher can play "pitch and catch" for 20 or 30 minutes underhand, they are going to develop a smoother motion and better control.

Specifically, drills break down the pitching motion into pieces. At some point, you have to "reintegrate" the pieces into a smooth motion. Playing pitch and catch allows the pitcher to put all the parts together without being under pressure to pitch.

JRW

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Magic,

There are several drills for "motion smoothing" or "incorporation of drills".

My favorites are:

(1) Playing pitch and catch underhanded (just like you playing pitch and catch overhanded, both people stand up, one person need not throw underhanded.)

(2) Rapid throwing. Basically, the catcher throws the ball to the pitcher, the pitcher immediately on catching the ball starts her pitching motion to deliver the ball. No feeling around for the rubber, no slapping the mitt, crouching down, jumping, whatever...they catch the ball, they immediately throw the ball. As soon as the catcher catches the ball, she *immediately* throws the ball back to the pitcher. So, this is rapid fire, one pitch after the other. Note that the pitcher will not always get a perfect throw from the catcher. So what? She still starts her pitching motion when the ball hits her mitt. Count each throw by the pitcher until she throws one away. Your goal is to get to a 100. Most beginning pitchers can't do 2.

JRW

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Sluggers, I do a similar rapid fire drill but I have the catcher toss the ball aside and the pitcher just grabs another ball from me. I hold 5 or so balls.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In order to do the "rapid fire" drill, the pitcher has to keep her weight back, keep her arm in the groove, relax and breathe properly. It is quite a challenge.

It can be great fun, too. When they get above 10 throws, start teasing them and harassing them saying stuff like, "This is the one that goes over the catchers head" and "You're doing OK, but you couldn't break a wine glass with that pitch". Try to get them laughing. I don't know how many times the kids would crack up and stop throwing.

JRW

Jun 10, 2010
The Rapid fire is what we do except we call it the speed drill. We see how many pitches she can throw in 30 seconds she usually stays around 10 to 12. My DD just turned 10 years old and stays in between 42 and 44 mph in game situations. She is deadly accurate with painting the corners. We throw 3 days a week and play every weekend. Her choice not ours. But she is also 5' tall and a very determined little girl. I do not have to say a thing to her about her pitching except for to correct her what she is doing wrong and she fixes it. Last weekend 7 innnings pitched with 15 k's and 6 walks only allowing 4 hits. only 3 of those k's came with a change up. All the others came with her working the corners and her fastball. which i believe is the most important part of pitching is accuracy. If a pitcher can work the corners at this age they are going to have a high strike out percentage. It also helps that we have a great former Club K instructor

Jun 10, 2010
The kind of strikes I want to see are swinging at a ball off the plate or looking at a strike that looks like a ball.

Yep when me and my daughter is working in the yard or the park. If she throws a pitch fat on the plate we do not count it as a strike. before we finish she has to throw 9 straight strikes that are not over the center of the plate and hits her spots. If I give her an isnide and it goes to the outside corner it does not count. I also coach her travel team and her accuracy is the reason she is the ace out of the 3 pitchers on the team but she is also the last to get her chance. i pitch the other girls first and sit mine on the bench until the others have had there chance or get wore down. So that way it is none of the "The only reason she is there is because her daddy is the coach" Which as also taught my daughter some very important lessons about softball doing that also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA