Who is running the team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Try to see my point like this....if you were the next AD trying to hire him and you got wind of the e-mails and paper trail he created to "take down the previous evil AD"....and there was another candidate who was equal in everything else, but had no history of insubordination, who would you pick for the job?

Perry, you are definitely reading too much into it if you think by me suggesting documenting the exchange in some way implies trying to "take down the previous evil AD" (not sure why you double quoted that as those were not my words). There are many unforeseen directions this scenario can play out. I am only suggesting having the situation documented in such a way, if ever needed, the OP is able to adequately defend themselves. Obviously I'd personally handle this situation differently than you.

Oct 3, 2012
I would have done the same. You were hired to head the program and should be allowed to do so. It is not fair to anyone (the $$ girl, the true #1 or the remainder of the team) to jeopardize the teams chances because of a financial contribution. I also, think that this would need to be discussed with the Powers to Be at the institution. If the AD and the Athletic Department were the receipients of the donation it should surely be investigated and if it was a donation made to the General Fund with these stipulations then the Board, Chancellor, or other governing individuals should be investigated as well. This is a definite moral and ethical issue and I am glad to see you took the high ground. I would love for my daughter to play for an invidual who thinks the way you do.

Apr 11, 2012
Perry, you are definitely reading too much into it if you think by me suggesting documenting the exchange in some way implies trying to "take down the previous evil AD" (not sure why you double quoted that as those were not my words). There are many unforeseen directions this scenario can play out. I am only suggesting having the situation documented in such a way, if ever needed, the OP is able to adequately defend themselves. Obviously I'd personally handle this situation differently than you.

I get it, and please let me add I always enjoy your posts....and hope you understand my point that if the guy is quiting, what's the point sending an obvious "i'm going to use this against you" e-mail or paper trail....?

Last edited:

C.K

Mar 16, 2012
I think you need to go to a school board meeting and let them all know why you resigned at the end of the season, I bet the majority will be appalled.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Regarding the #2 pitcher and her dad. When we began practices, they met with me after
a practice and asked what my plans were regarding the rotation. I informed them both
that there would be an open competition for the #1 spot. I was familiar with both girls
and originally intended on giving the #2 plenty of innings. Player and parent were both satisfied.
Once I decided on the #1 I informed the players of my decision. In HS ball, these are young ladies
who are encouraged by the school to be accountable for themselves and their actions. Part of
the conduct code at school is encouraging students to be responsible and take the parents out of
the equation entirely in order to prepare them for college.

Regarding the email chain, I am not vindictive and I am not coaching to make a living. I am coaching
to make the team competitive and garner interest in the program. I decided that the best course of
action is face to face with the AD as I don't feel I have the need to document the wrongdoing on her part.
I am confident in my abilities and if she chooses to go in a different direction that is her prerogative.
A year ago, I had 11 player try out for the team, this year, I had 18 at the first tryout, indicating
what I thought was a positive direction for the program. This number, I fully expected to increase to the
point that I would have enough girls in a year to field a JV as well as varsity squad.

Unless the AD requires more from me, I will proceed with business as usual for the remainder of the season.
I harbor no ill will for the players or parents, so why allow the AD actions to sour the season.

Before season's end I am planning on meeting with the parent one on one to explain the lesson he
is teaching his child regarding 'buying' her way thru life. I am old school and would like to see her
earn the #1 spot thru hard work.

You sound like more of a stand up guy than most of the people I know including myself. :) Good luck with this unfortunate situation.

I know what I would like to do if I were in your situation, but actually being there vs. reading about it on this forum are two totally separate things.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I know what I would like to do if I were in your situation

Obviously what I want to do and what I am actually doing are completely
different. Maybe its all the years of coaching girls that I have become very
tolerant so after losing sleep a couple nights, I decided to take what I believe is
the road to preserving my sanity. Allowing anger to spill over would not be good for any parties involved.

Like one of you have replied, I am drafting a letter for the trustee board, so they are well
aware of the craziness that is taking place

I will update this post after we play a couple home games this week. I am positive AD
will be in attendance-sounds like fun huh?

Dec 22, 2012
Just my $.02

I work in a non-profit organization driven by people giving money. The people giving do not as individuals decide what we do or how the money is spent. We utilize it as we best see fit. We are the experts in the field, not them, but to think that the large donors don't have a voice would be incorrect as well.

How does this correlate?

I also coach a travel team with a big donor. I will tell you that his daughter is NOT the best player on my team. She doesn't just get handed a position and the parent knows that, but I do spend a more time with her outside of practice trying to help her. She will have to earn her position, but this guy is a huge factor in helping us do want we want to do as an organization. I respond by giving some of my time to help his daughter improve.

Mar 25, 2011
I love it when we have the rare occasion to run into a person who has the opportunity to work for the sake of loving the job. It really takes the power away from people in this scenario. Or rather, it empowers you. Since the AD is your boss, in this case, I'd have to say you have to choose which is more important to you, as you have. Your belief in your way is more important than keeping your job (although no one told you to quit! perhaps just keeping doing it your way would have never resulted in any consequences....).

Anyways, good job from my perspective. I love the idea of the "raffle for position play". I would bring that up to the AD, with a smile on your face.

Oct 25, 2009
The AD at my school called a meeting last week (mid-season)
the timing of which I found peculiar based on my past experience.
She informed me that one of the player's parents had made a LARGE
financial contribution to the school and I was to make her the #1
pitcher for the remainder of the season. I was under the impression that I
was hired to coach the team, not be her 'lackey'

We had a district game the next day against
the best team in the district. I chose to start my clear #1, we ended up
winning 3-1. The next day the AD called me out for not following her
protocol, I explained that I started the pitcher who gave us the best chance to
win, she disagreed with my decision, I tendered my resignation
effective at the conclusion of our last game of the year. She suggested I reconsider,
I explained that what she is asking goes against the grain of my core
coaching philosophies, and for the sake of the team, I am going to start the 9 players who
I choose to put on the field as coach.

I have not informed the
players and families, I have decided to wait until our year is complete.
I find it a shame that politics at a private HS overshadow the greater
good of the program. The team is off to a 4-1 start and until last week, I thought I
was doing an admirable job. The player of the $$ parent is decent and I have given her
opportunities to start in games that she can be competitive in, she just is not nearly as good as the
older girl who is clearly a #1.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO

I would do what you did. I'm assuming the donation was not directly dependent on the donor's DD playing spot. If so, I would have to speak with the parents as soon as possible. It may be that it was strictly the AD's opinion to treat the donation as influence. NCAA probably wouldn't like it either, if she wanted to play in college later.

Apr 11, 2012
Obviously what I want to do and what I am actually doing are completely
different. Maybe its all the years of coaching girls that I have become very
tolerant so after losing sleep a couple nights, I decided to take what I believe is
the road to preserving my sanity. Allowing anger to spill over would not be good for any parties involved.

Like one of you have replied, I am drafting a letter for the trustee board, so they are well
aware of the craziness that is taking place

I will update this post after we play a couple home games this week. I am positive AD
will be in attendance-sounds like fun huh?

I can only imagine the stress this has caused you....and your plan of action is understandable and may very well help with your sanity....hopefully, it will cause her some grief and she learns a lesson from all of this....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1