Who is running the team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
I think it is easy to sit behind a key board and claim high moral/values, I do it all the time;) I think it would be a lot tougher to really be in that situation. What if the program or season would be canceled with out that donation? I would like to think I would hold to my core values as well. Glad I am not in that situation. You could start her every game, 1 pitch, Time out blue, changing pitchers. That would meet the start every game command.

Jun 18, 2010
your suggestion would be perfect if he going to change careers.....nothing like killing a career by documenting every single issue that comes up and calling out an administrators to everyone. That's why so many meetings are still done in person in the business world by executives.....if the AD had any of those "do as I say even though it's wrong" e-mails she deserves a bunch of grief for that stunt.....but sadly, as society has taught us all, despite the fact that "doing the right thing" of Coach JV is noble....he is going to be the one looking for a new gig....not the AD and any politics.

It's a tough spot for programs, as they need some financial help from private donators....why can't it every be from one of the best players parents?......but good for Coach JV flipping the bird to boss lady.....but you may want to think about making a big deal out of it....you have made your point....administrators have their own professional fraterity too and may cause you some heartache if you go out of your way to make her look bad....

No one said anything about documenting every single issue..... This issue however is important enough to the OP that he has tendered his resignation, and since the OP asked "what would you do?" I offered my opinion. I see nothing wrong in wanting to get the scenario documented.

Weren't you the one who said:

In this country and more now than ever..."the squeeky wheel gets the first grease".....

....now you're telling OP to not make a "big deal out it"

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Regarding the #2 pitcher and her dad. When we began practices, they met with me after
a practice and asked what my plans were regarding the rotation. I informed them both
that there would be an open competition for the #1 spot. I was familiar with both girls
and originally intended on giving the #2 plenty of innings. Player and parent were both satisfied.
Once I decided on the #1 I informed the players of my decision. In HS ball, these are young ladies
who are encouraged by the school to be accountable for themselves and their actions. Part of
the conduct code at school is encouraging students to be responsible and take the parents out of
the equation entirely in order to prepare them for college.

Regarding the email chain, I am not vindictive and I am not coaching to make a living. I am coaching
to make the team competitive and garner interest in the program. I decided that the best course of
action is face to face with the AD as I don't feel I have the need to document the wrongdoing on her part.
I am confident in my abilities and if she chooses to go in a different direction that is her prerogative.
A year ago, I had 11 player try out for the team, this year, I had 18 at the first tryout, indicating
what I thought was a positive direction for the program. This number, I fully expected to increase to the
point that I would have enough girls in a year to field a JV as well as varsity squad.

Unless the AD requires more from me, I will proceed with business as usual for the remainder of the season.
I harbor no ill will for the players or parents, so why allow the AD actions to sour the season.

Before season's end I am planning on meeting with the parent one on one to explain the lesson he
is teaching his child regarding 'buying' her way thru life. I am old school and would like to see her
earn the #1 spot thru hard work.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I think it is easy to sit behind a key board and claim high moral/values, I do it all the time I think it would be a lot tougher to really be in that situation. What if the program or season would be canceled with out that donation?

There was no chance of the program being cancelled that I could see, lights were installed on the field last fall
and the SB field is used exclusively for SB, not shared with other sports. Sure the situation bothers me, but they
brought me in to steer the program onto the right course. I have more wins this season than the previous coach had
in either of his previous 2 seasons. He relocated for his job, not for politics (as far as I know) I did ask this to the AD
directly:)

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Tough one... sorry for your situation.
I agree with your decision though... you clearly have admiral ethics and the school will soon realize their error. Good luck, James

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Tell the AD that you think they should hold a "silent auction" for all 12 spots on the team.....that will solve the budget problems, prevent you from needed to have tryouts and practices.... and you can coach like "Buttermaker" from the Bad News Bears! LMAO

I think you are handing everything very well, keep up the good work and hopefully everyone comes around. Maybe by the end of the season when it is time to sit down with the AD and then the parents cooler heads might prevail, just tread lightly and make sure 100% of the facts are in, then if needed simply agree to disagree with the philosophy and move on, no use to burn bridges hopefully they appreciate the way you handled things.

Apr 11, 2012
What I would have done:

I would have started an email chain to get the exchange documented.

After the initial AD meeting, I would have followed up that meeting with an email to her restating the request to make ______ _______ the #1 pitcher because of the large financial contribution, and asking for confirmation making sure you didn't misunderstand the request. Often times when people are asked to put their verbal requests in writing they back track.

LOL!!!....this was your "written example" of what you would do....and I'm telling everyone and being that "squeeky wheel" that has seems to intrigue you so much..."don't use this example if you don't want your career to suffer and think of another method to CYA".....I guess you took it my sarcasim a little too literal, which is undersatandable, as I was just funning around a bit....oh and BTW, those two quotes of mine are hardly the same piece of advice for the same situation....

Apr 11, 2012
No one said anything about documenting every single issue..... This issue however is important enough to the OP that he has tendered his resignation, and since the OP asked "what would you do?" I offered my opinion. I see nothing wrong in wanting to get the scenario documented.

Weren't you the one who said:

....now you're telling OP to not make a "big deal out it"

Try to see my point like this....if you were the next AD trying to hire him and you got wind of the e-mails and paper trail he created to "take down the previous evil AD"....and there was another candidate who was equal in everything else, but had no history of insubordination, who would you pick for the job?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Craig052