Who is running the team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
The AD at my school called a meeting last week (mid-season)
the timing of which I found peculiar based on my past experience.
She informed me that one of the player's parents had made a LARGE
financial contribution to the school and I was to make her the #1
pitcher for the remainder of the season. I was under the impression that I
was hired to coach the team, not be her 'lackey'

We had a district game the next day against
the best team in the district. I chose to start my clear #1, we ended up
winning 3-1. The next day the AD called me out for not following her
protocol, I explained that I started the pitcher who gave us the best chance to
win, she disagreed with my decision, I tendered my resignation
effective at the conclusion of our last game of the year. She suggested I reconsider,
I explained that what she is asking goes against the grain of my core
coaching philosophies, and for the sake of the team, I am going to start the 9 players who
I choose to put on the field as coach.

I have not informed the
players and families, I have decided to wait until our year is complete.
I find it a shame that politics at a private HS overshadow the greater
good of the program. The team is off to a 4-1 start and until last week, I thought I
was doing an admirable job. The player of the $$ parent is decent and I have given her
opportunities to start in games that she can be competitive in, she just is not nearly as good as the
older girl who is clearly a #1.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Exactly what you did. And if this is a Christian school, God help us.

I had a neighbor offer to buy the HS basketball team, new uniforms, if they would just keep his son on the team. They wisely said "No thank you."

Maybe the AD will reconsider and see that in the end you made the right call. Just continue coaching like you normally would, sounds like the girl is a decent pitcher and I would keep working with her and encouraging to do her best and let her pitch like you said when competition level warrants it.

The thing I don't thing everyone understands is that one of the ADs primary job, especial at a private school, is usually about raising enough money to keep the programs running. Look at it from their point of view they think you don't understand if this donation is pulled or they don't donate and cause other parents not to donate next year maybe in three years they have to cut the softball program then while you have stood up for what you think is right there is no more team for girls down the road. (just playing devils advocate)

Jun 18, 2010
What I would have done:

I would have started an email chain to get the exchange documented.

After the initial AD meeting, I would have followed up that meeting with an email to her restating the request to make ______ _______ the #1 pitcher because of the large financial contribution, and asking for confirmation making sure you didn't misunderstand the request. Often times when people are asked to put their verbal requests in writing they back track.

I would have followed that email message up with one stating what my coaching philosophy was and why the initial request went against how I coach and field my team.

Depending on the AD's response to that, I would have probably taken similar action that you took, but I would have had a written exchange on how things transpired as a CYA move.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Tough call JV. I'd probably do what you did, only I would talk one on one with the parent to see if this was a condition of his/hers or my AD's. If I'm giving up what I love ( ball ) then I'm going to get the facts straight, if not it might bother me the rest of my life.

We had a parent offer a $5000 check when DD was a sophomore if his child would "make" the HS team. No playing conditions, just make the team. Our coach firmly said no, she makes it on merit or not. She did not make the team.

My nephew's HS had an Alumni give $400,000 for a new state of the art weight/training facility. The Navy Seals would love to have a place so nice. His son played basketball, there was no increase in play time or promotion for the kid. No pressure from the parents or the AD.

Sorry this happened to you, there are still good decent people out there.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What I would have done:

Oh yeah... you are going to want this in writing and printed out for future use. If they wont, as Knightsb says - start the email thread yourself and include the conversation details in the email. If the AD insisted and now continues to pressure you, you may end up in a position where you need to resign on the spot.

As for the AD - there is no excuse for selling playing time for financial donations. That is against whatever moral code exists out there, may very go well against the HS rules and regs and in certain districts/areas could even go as far as being against the law. That is pretty high on the scale of scumbag behavior for someone who is supposed to be looking after kids sports.

--sarcasm on--
Your other option would have been to ask for the price sheet :) I mean my son has never played football but I don't see why he can't be QB if I have the cash! Maybe next year it can be your main fundraiser - you can auction off Starting Shortstop and Batting #3!
--sarcasm off--

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I admire you for standing your ground, the only thing I would have done differently would be to tender my resignation immediately if the AD was going to allow parents to "buy" their DD playing time on my team.....

Dec 7, 2011
So in this private arena you coached in are there any "best 9 will play" expectations set (in print or in speech to players)?

I think the original sin was the acceptance of the gift by mgmt. Unless it's open and apparent from the private HS staff that a SB position is up for raffle.......

Apr 11, 2012
What I would have done:

After the initial AD meeting, I would have followed up that meeting with an email to her restating the request to make ______ _______ the #1 pitcher because of the large financial contribution, and asking for confirmation making sure you didn't misunderstand the request. Often times when people are asked to put their verbal requests in writing they back track.

I would have followed that email message up with one stating what my coaching philosophy was and why the initial request went against how I coach and field my team.

Depending on the AD's response to that, I would have probably taken similar action that you took, but I would have had a written exchange on how things transpired as a CYA move.

your suggestion would be perfect if he going to change careers.....nothing like killing a career by documenting every single issue that comes up and calling out an administrators to everyone. That's why so many meetings are still done in person in the business world by executives.....if the AD had any of those "do as I say even though it's wrong" e-mails she deserves a bunch of grief for that stunt.....but sadly, as society has taught us all, despite the fact that "doing the right thing" of Coach JV is noble....he is going to be the one looking for a new gig....not the AD and any politics.

It's a tough spot for programs, as they need some financial help from private donators....why can't it every be from one of the best players parents?......but good for Coach JV flipping the bird to boss lady.....but you may want to think about making a big deal out of it....you have made your point....administrators have their own professional fraterity too and may cause you some heartache if you go out of your way to make her look bad....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes