When does the look back rule take effect?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I saw the runner going repeatedly in a 16u A level game, so the practice is spreading. That throw home is very long, and the infielder is not a catcher used to that throw.

rubbish. There is this new thing teams do to make this work.

Today only, I'll give it to you for free.

Ready? Here it comes.....

Its called......

PRACTICE!!!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Softball.com
Daily trivia: The batter takes ball 4 and sprints to 1st. As she runs, the C throws the ball back to the P in the circle. The batter touches 1st, turns left and breaks toward 2nd base. Seeing that the pitcher still has the ball, she cuts back to 1st. What's the call?

I saw this on Twitter. It is a poll on SoftballSales facebook page.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Softball.com
Daily trivia: The batter takes ball 4 and sprints to 1st. As she runs, the C throws the ball back to the P in the circle. The batter touches 1st, turns left and breaks toward 2nd base. Seeing that the pitcher still has the ball, she cuts back to 1st. What's the call?

I saw this on Twitter. It is a poll on SoftballSales facebook page.

Depends on whether the "turn" was literally a stop and turn. If the player doesn't break stride and "rounds" the base it is nothing. If the BR hits the base and takes a 90 degree turn, that could be construed as a stop and then the player should be ruled out for violating the LBR.

May 11, 2011
Clarification

I have a couple of questions on the LBR. The way I read the rule...USSSA and ASA...the baserunners may continue running non-stop once LBR goes into effect (pitcher has ball inside circle and batter has been put out or touched 1st base). Here is the USSSA rule:

Any runner(s) in motion may continue without stopping or may stop once, but
then must immediately move directly back to the last base touched or attempt
to advance to the next base.

Am I interpreting this correctly:

baserunner on 1st base [B2]...batter walks and sprints down to 1st [B1]...pitcher secures ball in circle and B1 reaches 1st prior to B2 reaching 2nd...B2 then reaches and rounds second (without stopping)...stops midway between second and 3rd and immediately returns to 2nd base.

I interpret the baserunner is safe. I was told the baserunner violated the LBR and is out.

Thanks!

Jun 22, 2008
If the runner going to 2nd base did not stop on the base before rounding and going half way to 3rd, no violation has been committed.

May 23, 2012
Hello everyone,

I don't mean to resurrect an old thread - but I have a question about this rule when it comes to ASA. I am the assistant coach for a 14U girls softball team and this rule can be confusing at times. Here's a scenario that I see a lot.

Runner rounds 2nd base and stops - Pitcher has control of the ball in the circle. Runner then "hops" two or three times toward 3rd base before returning to 2nd base. It's easy to see what the runner is doing - they are taunting the pitcher to try and throw the ball to 2nd base and the runner has plans to run to 3rd... but the runner stops once, and then even after the pitcher has control, does the hop toward 3rd, but then returns to 2nd. My belief is that the runner is out.

Thoughts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad