When does/did your DD wear a Defensive Face Mask?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

When does/did your DD wear a Defensive Face Mask?

• Steps on the field

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • All Infield Positions

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • Pitching and Corners

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • Pitching and 3rd

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Pitching

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Never

Votes: 12 13.5%

• Total voters
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD is aging up this year to 14U. When she joined her current 12U team she was the only girl to not have a mask. I started feeling like a bad dad and bought the Rip it after she tried on another girls and liked the openess of it. Game face limited her view especially looking down for ground balls.

Oct 21, 2009
My daughter started wearing one after she got braces.
One day at practice, coach hit a sharp one that takes a bad hop and catches her in the side of the mouth. She was playing 3rd. He starts to run to her to see if she is OK. She gathered up the ball and threw to first like she was supposed too. She was cut up but OK.
Coach looks at me and says, tough kid.
You should see her now with the mask. Turned her into an animal.

Jan 24, 2011
My DD wore one for several years while playing first. But this year (12u , 2nd year) , she decided she didnt want it / need it anymore (except the times when she would move to 3rd)

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
DD (14U) wears one when pitching and playing Corners. Started last year in 12U. She has never been hit in the face luckily but has been hit. Have seen enough other girls get hit to know it is the right thing for my DD

Jul 28, 2008
Seeing how they make me wear hard hat, safety glasses, safety shoes, face-shield (when drilling or grinding), harness (when above 6'), gloves and an orange vest at work...I don't see the wimpy-ness of my daughter wearing a mask. After the game is over, she comes home and turns back into a little girl. After I'm done at work, I come back home and become a father.

That's part of my reasons. That's also why I require my infielders to mask up when I'm coaching.

Nov 29, 2009
My DD never wore a mask. They were not around when she played. As for the girls I coach now. When I have my initial team meeting I tell the parents that masks are optional and mouth guards are mandatory if no mask is being worn. Last season all but one of the girls wore a mask. Never had a serious incident, but did have a couple of bad hops hit masks with the only damage caused was having to put it back in place on their face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah