When does/did your DD wear a Defensive Face Mask?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

When does/did your DD wear a Defensive Face Mask?

• Steps on the field

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • All Infield Positions

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • Pitching and Corners

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • Pitching and 3rd

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Pitching

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Never

Votes: 12 13.5%

• Total voters

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I bought my daugter one, but she won't wear it because no one else on her team wears one. When it's just her and I fielding grounders she has it on. Her worst black eye was at practice when someone threw the ball to her when she wasn't looking. If I was a coach I would require for all players regardless of position. Better safe then sorry.

Time to step up and be a parent. If you want her to wear a mask, she wears it or doesn't play. Period.

Jan 28, 2011
Bucket
I bought my daughter a rip-it and she loves it. She will wear it anytime she plays infield for her travel team. However when she plays on her rec team it seems to always stay in her bag. Now that she will move to her first year of 12u ball I expect her to wear it all the time, especially when pitching.

Mar 13, 2010
I ask this honestly, but why do pivot's need to wear masks? They're not going to be charging a bunt, they're not letting go of a ball seconds before it comes back, so why do they need one?

Oct 25, 2009
I ask this honestly, but why do pivot's need to wear masks? They're not going to be charging a bunt, they're not letting go of a ball seconds before it comes back, so why do they need one?

There's a SS I know who is currently sporting 14 stitches "on the outside" (she doesn't know how many underneath). She is wearing a mask now but I don't know if she will after she heals.

My question is why shouldn't a player wear them at any position if the mask doesn't make her less capable? Not be required to, but free to do so?

Mar 13, 2010
My question is why shouldn't a player wear them at any position if the mask doesn't make her less capable? Not be required to, but free to do so?

She's less capable if she can't stop a ball standing at short-stop. Even on a bad bounce, she won't get injured as badly as a line drive.

I've played at a top level of softball for 12 years. I am involved in the top level as a coach now. I've been around the sport my entire life (25th season this year, 28 years old) I have seen THREE players take a ball to the face. One a third base in the 90s. Two more recent, one a pitcher who I had been working on getting into a better defensive position (and who doesn't wear a face mask now) and an older women, slingshot style pitcher, who had started pitching that year.

If a short-stop or a second base takes a ball to the face, it is because of poor skills. (actully I do remember another player who took a ball to the face. She lost sight of the ball so she moved her glove away from her face. I've never seen anything that dumb in my entire life) If a player has been injured and their doctor is telling them to wear the mask they have to. But if they're doing it at pivot or even outfield, then they are not being taught to play the game.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL

DD currently wears a Mask at P and corners. I am debating asking her to wear her mask in any infield position or whenever she steps on the field. I agree with the question, what s the harm in it? I am sure it is unpleasant to get hit in the mask with the ball so I do not think she will start using her face to stop the ball.

Her grandfather did not say anything when she never wore a Mask but now that she does gives me a hard time she doesn’t wear it when playing 2nd or SS. Go figure.

Another factor is DD will be the Team leader this year, maybe other players and parents seeing her always have a mask on will encourage them to wear one or at least ask why she wears one.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
If the mask doesn't detract from a player's ability to play then it should be an acceptable choice to wear one.

It doesn't matter the skill level of a player; bad hops don't know one level from another, for example. Major leaguers are injured but that doesn't mean they are not highly skilled. Just because a player has been fortunate doesn't mean it was all because of skill.

It's ok not to over protect but discouraging a kid to play safe is not a good thing.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
If every infield was perfect and all balls continued on a predictable path you wouldn't need to wear a mask. Every kid I have seen take one in the face had approached the ball lined up for a catch when the last hop jumped up to catch them in the face. In the LLWS this week a player from Saudi is sporting a broken nose and two black eyes from just that type of hop.

In all my years of driving or riding in a car I have never seen anyone go through the windshield or get ejected from the car. I still wear my seat belt only because it makes sense and does not bother me. If a girl is comfortable wearing a mask in the infield why not and why even question their motive? Maybe they just like the combative look of the mask.

Mar 13, 2010
In all my years of driving or riding in a car I have never seen anyone go through the windshield or get ejected from the car.

Really? I work in insurance so I see it a lot more now, but I can name at least three people who that happened to and I live in a country where it's mandatory to wear a seat belt.

If a girl is comfortable wearing a mask in the infield why not and why even question their motive? Maybe they just like the combative look of the mask.

First off, they're not combative. I'm watching softball videos and I cringe every time I see a mask. You will never see my criticise a girl in real life for wearing one, but they look terrible.

You also NEVER see the boys wearing them. Ever.

If a short-stop or second base player misses a ball, even on a bad bounce, they have made an error. I'm also having trouble finding examples of this situation in MLB. (purely because of the claim it happens there)

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
First off, they're not combative. I'm watching softball videos and I cringe every time I see a mask. You will never see my criticise a girl in real life for wearing one, but they look terrible.

You also NEVER see the boys wearing them. Ever.

If a short-stop or second base player misses a ball, even on a bad bounce, they have made an error. I'm also having trouble finding examples of this situation in MLB. (purely because of the claim it happens there)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion; however, my daughter will wear one at all infield postions - period. Not because I don't trust her skills - she's one of the better 14U middle infielders in the area, but because stuff happens, no matter how good you are. She's taken elbows to the head from runners while taking a throw at a bag, girls cleats come up on tags, helmets collide with her head etc. It's not always fielding the ball that causes the damage. She doesn't pull her head with or without a mask, but hates mouth guards. It's not necessarily the catastrophic injuries we're preventing. I'd just as soon stay away from any injury, if it can be prevented reasonably, especially to her face. She's not in a beauty contest, so I don't give a hoot what it looks like. As long as it's not a detriment to her play, why does anyone else care?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC