When does/did your DD wear a Defensive Face Mask?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

When does/did your DD wear a Defensive Face Mask?

• Steps on the field

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • All Infield Positions

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • Pitching and Corners

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • Pitching and 3rd

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Pitching

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Never

Votes: 12 13.5%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2009
It's just plain irresponsible to discourage a kid from playing safely. Especially when the use of safety equipment does not negatively impact the player's ability to play.

The equipment does not replace skills that must be learned; if anything it may enhance the ability to learn those skills.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
There is a difference between WANTING to wear a mask...and...NEEDING to wear a mask. If a player...wants... to sit on the bench and have one on...that is HER and/or PARENTS CHOICE. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with a...child playing a GAME....making a "CHOICE" to have more protection...for whatever reason and regardless of the sport.

This isn't the good ol days...whenever these discussions come up...it always reverts back to boys. When i played as a kid...in the good ol days. There was always a couple guys (that were more like men...early testosterone ones) that could pound the ball...and you better believe i was wide eyed ready when they came up.

Now...both little and big...pound the ball. Did you notice how deep the infield played in one of the boys LL games? They were on the grass! Maybe if they wore mask...they could of positioned themselves better?

The male commentator that made the remark about the LL boy back out there and being tough...was giving kudo's to the young man after an injury. I understand that. That is different than the female commentator saying "i tell my girls to toughen up". There was no need to hear her PERSONAL philosophy of masks. I mean...what is she trying to prove? Does she have some inferiority complex because she more concerned about the perception of boys vs girls sports...than she does the safety of the kids? She should be ashamed of her self.

I am still trying to figure out... in what decade baseball and softball became about....being tough and macho! I never thought you had to show your toughness in baseball, its a skills game. We did that in football and karate.

I also would never vote/work towards or promote it being mandated...however... I would actively defend each child's right to choose to wear one... without them being ridiculed, discriminated against or punished for doing so.

Kudo's to the LL team that all wore them. That will help some other child...look at it differently and really have a choice as to what to do... rather than having limited choice because someone propagates their own philosophy OVER...a child's safety.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
I also would never vote/work towards or promote it being mandated...however... I would actively defend each child's right to choose to wear one... without them being ridiculed, discriminated against or punished for doing so.

Kudo's to the LL team that all wore them. That will help some other child...look at it differently and really have a choice as to what to do... rather than having limited choice because someone propagates their own philosophy OVER...a child's safety.

I agree with Bobby we all should defend a players right to wear one without ridicule.

I also was pleased to see the LL team wear them. I don't live too far from that team. I have noticed more coaches are requiring their infield to wear them in our area, including our local little league.

We (the board) beat this to death every time it comes up. Some day the right lawyer's dd will be hit and all the leagues will be forced to make a rule just because of the liability. I think that is why some of our local coaches are requiring the infield to wear masks. But there's other issues we can beat to death.

Screwball, I don't think I would feel comfortable throwing bp with some of the better players.

13 yo dd wears hers infield (it was a coach requirement when she started 12u) now it's just habit. FWIW I think she is more aggressive with the mask on.

Feb 22, 2011
My girl just started a new 14U team. Not a kid on her new team has put on a D mask in practice or game play (two so far) and have yet to see any other 14U players wearing one. Her old 12U team everyone in the infield of her team wore them and you saw them on the opposing teams as well. Seams to me the 14U girls with the stronger hitting would want/need them more. Not sure if it’s a vanity thing or what but the older girls where we play don’t seam to want to wear them.

Oct 25, 2009
This is the same weak logic that delayed helmet cages for so long. I wonder how many kids got unnecessary facial injuries due to that delay.

Most kids/parents/coaches don't see the benefit of safety equipment until they experience firsthand a kid with a serious facial injury. I've seen too many. The equipment available today was not available not so long ago. It doesn't interfere with the game, it actually enhances the game, it protects a kid playing a game that they won't play that many years from an injury that could last their lifetime.

If you can't support it at least don't discourage those who would wear it. For what purpose would one do that?

Oct 14, 2008
There is still a lot of old school thinking at the older level. I have heard commentators brag on a college player not wearing a face mask on her batting helmet or elbow guard or wrist guard saying that the batter is just old school and shes a ball player not a hockey player. A lot of what kids and parents perceive as truth comes from the mouths of people that commentate the game.

When my dd stepped on the field as a middle school player 6 seasons ago wearing her defensive face mask the questions and comments were pretty funny. No one at that time in the general softball community had either heard of or used them. It was amazing that 2 years later they became popular as more parents discovered them and now you are even starting to see them at the NAIA and D3 level.

D1 has still not caught on as at that level they are still pretty much softball purists and feel that skill and talent should provide protection enough.

For the younger players who play 3rd and pitch I see no down side to it. Older ages will be seen playing with them more and more until some big name wears one and then youll see the trend take off at the higher levels. Until then just do what you have to do to protect the younger ones.

Tim

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
What female commentator was that? Tell me more.
Was it not the LL or Junior Leaque commentator that said something similar? Maybe not...maybe I am thinking of the commentator at the College world series. Either way...the statement was a pathetic response for the female commentator and the reference "toughen up" was a joke.

Added: Now here's something true about the old days.
I was younger then...and did not have sometimers disease (sometimes i remember...sometimes i do not)! :)
Looking from the outside, I found it embarrassing that the LL girls wore them and the boys did not. (But some girls LL teams had just a few players with masks or none with masks.)

If the boys start wearing them...I can honestly say...I will not be embarrassed. I will probably go over to the first boy i see wearing one and give him a high five...cause he probably will need the support due to what he will hear and the discrimination he will receive till it becomes more norm.

I agree that bats are the issue. If they take care of the bat situation...maybe they will avoid mandates for mask...however the mask is going to continue to become normal and accepted. As "Bouldersdad" said "there is alot of old school at the older level"...and there is alot more old school in boys baseball. I think both will change...but it will happen slower in boys baseball. I personally think Insurance companies are waiting in the wings to get into the mix of the argument but that is another story.

You might look at it from the perspective... that the more girls that choose to wear mask now...it may delay/or make unnecessary ....mandates...and at the same time protect more children from unnecessary injuries.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321