what's the RVP connection point position?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Tewk's "stepping open drill"

tewkswalkingstepgif-M.gif

i believe shoulder down and in would help .
stepping open while forming a "stack" or RVP connection point.

Just for the sake of discussion, Tewks is teaching much more of a wrap, and "flattening,

As compared to this clip of Hamilton, who has a much shorter Barrel path to the ball, and not so stacked.

Hamilton_slomo_sms-M.gif

My DD has amore tip and rip, bat path, she is tall, and i thought that might help her , and it did, with low pitches.

When i drill, i will add the stack, keep an eye out now, for this rvp position.

although there does seem to be some hitters, who only get close to this check point.

as an edit. It does not appear the V, stays at any point in a TIGHT V, it is widening though the swing, after its optimum tightness.

The height of the hands seems to determine whether the "stack" is vertical or the vee is tilted.

There is a lot of "play" in the RVP position in the HLS, IMHO.

Frazier_side2.gif

leanbackside-S.gif

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
a1q1y0.jpg

Mann,

You can call it whatever "point" you like...from my perspective it is the point that needs to be achieved - period.

Before I go on - you're a smart guy...too smart to ask those questions...

So lets try this a little differently...let's assume this ISN'T an important position to hit or that this position is incorrect or less than optimal...

What positions would you want to see?

Would you want the barrel higher or lower?
What if BB's hands were further away from his shoulder?
Would you not want to see roughly 90* angles formed between his forearms?
Would you not want to see the 90* angle between his bat and left forearm?
Would you not want to see the "cup" in his left wrist?
Would you want the rear elbow tighter or further away from his side?

I could list 10 other things but that would be obnoxious and no, I don't expect answers to the above...just understand it is a great benchmark position

BUT also understand...

THIS IS A PASS THROUGH POINT ONLY! If you don't grasp that...don't read on IMO

My short answer to your question "why is this important?" is simply every high level hitter on the planet passes through this position.

What is it's purpose? That could be answered any number of ways...

From MY perspective, it's purpose is to help me help my hitters. This is a position a coach should be using as a tool to see what their hitters are doing - I love that Tewks refers to this as the truth position. Can you effectively hit the ball without being in this position? I'm sure you can - up to a certain level - I just don't think you'll be as consistent as you could be as you play up against elevated competition. As a coach or as Mon/Dad you can use this position as a great checkpoint as you are building your DD\player's swings.

IMO this is especially an important point for those of you who read these hitting posts and struggle with the biomechanical and esoteric terms used on these boards - you don't need to know anything about dorsiflexion, supination, external rotation or whether or not the Roswell incident ever occurred - you simply need to match up your player\DD to this pic of Bonds (or pic (pun!) your favorite player). Still photos are NOT perfect but they can help you get in the ball park if you are not sure what to do/where to start, etc.

As Fastpitch26 mentioned, I often backward chain my hitters - meaning I start at extension or contact and have them "play" the swing in reverse and then forward chain it back to contact\extension to have them feel the motion. IF they are turning the barrel and IF their lower half is reasonable your players SHOULD be PASSING THROUGH this position. Mann - try this with your heavy bag drills...you are not far off from what I've seen.

Here's my DD2 from about 7 months ago age 10 we got here primarily via backward chaining focus was on pulling the handle down at "go" and getting the back of the right hand turned (like the Braun gif)

2ew1hdu.gif

She still has issues in her lower and I would like to see a little more of an upright angle of the barrel but I have her hands in a reasonably good place as we start to build out her swing. My point: I used the RVP spot as a benchmark as we made small changes. I won't show you what she looked like prior ;) Swimming just ended so I don't have anything recent but her swing is vastly improved from that gif...

Take a peak in the model swings thread and use Kinovea to frame by frame the gifs...you'll see just how important this position is...small example:

View attachment 6943

Next, IMO, video your gals ONLY looking for this position...you'll see your players casting, barrel dumping, and all sorts of crazy things...all of it's fixable and is usually related to a sequence issue but you could do far worse than using this position as your baseline...

This is my 2 cents...sorry for the length...CP

Great post crispots, worth more than two cents.

I back chain also, and I will use this point in the bag drill, letting them pass back and forth through to get the "FEEL".

definitely less "binding" and a much more comfort feel.

thank you

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The height of the hands seems to determine whether the "stack" is vertical or the vee is tilted.

There is a lot of "play" in the RVP position in the HLS, IMHO.

Frazier_side2.gif

leanbackside-S.gif

The height of the hands does play into it. I am not sure what the guru definition of "front arm bar" is, but I feel that is what Frazier is doing. By moving his bottom hand that far behind his body and, more importantly, that far away from his rear shoulder, he is forced to open up the vee a little. However, I still think he ends up close to "stacked" at the RVP position.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
The height of the hands does play into it. I am not sure what the guru definition of "front arm bar" is, but I feel that is what Frazier is doing. By moving his bottom hand that far behind his body and, more importantly, that far away from his rear shoulder, he is forced to open up the vee a little. However, I still think he ends up close to "stacked" at the RVP position.

I agree on the RVP and lower hand set...I'm still a bit wishy washy on the arm bar. See the 3rd frame below for stacked position and his hands are clearly in front of elbow in frame 4 as "V" opens a little.

frazier.jpg

Just one comment about the arm bar...While Frazier does "stretch" or "reach back" taking most of the bend out of his elbow - he does maintain the small angle between his humerus and forearm through his swing. I wonder if this stretch is caused by his lower hand position? The below pic is from his no hands HR...

frazierAB.jpg

I wonder how much this affects his adjustability...428 career hits with 394 career K's...

This is of interest to me...my clean up hitter makes a similar move...lots of bombs but lots of K's too :(

CP

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid