What's the first movement pitch to work on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
Daughter throws your basic fastball and a flip change.

What movement pitch is the easiest and best to work on for a young pitcher? 10U now, 12 U this fall.

Screwball
Curveball
Rise
Drop?

Or, doesn't it matter?

Jan 27, 2010
The curve is usually a hard pitch for some pitchers, so I usually start it because it takes some time to develop for most. The screwball seems to be the easiest and most pitchers enjoy throwing it. A lot depends on the pitcher.

de Groot

Pitcher
May 11, 2010
No such thing as a fastball I say, I got a peel drop and it is faster then my "fastball" because when I flick my wrist it increases the speed greatly.
So I would say peel drop.

Jul 14, 2008
No such thing as a fastball I say, I got a peel drop and it is faster then my "fastball" because when I flick my wrist it increases the speed greatly.
So I would say peel drop.

IF your peel drop has more velocity then your fastball, you must not be "flicking your wrist" correctly with fastball........

There is ZERO chance that "flicking the fingers" up into the forearm creates as much speed and velocity as internal ulnar/radial rotation of the wrist/forearm............

That said.......I'd learn drop next..........

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
I'd run with the pack and say drop, but my DD's coach is a curveball first kinda guy. She's getting good control of it finally and it's giving batters fits at 12U.

de Groot

Pitcher
May 11, 2010
That second line, lost you at internal...
and from a radar gun my pitches are faster when I have more drop spin on the ball then If I didn't.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
That said.......I'd learn drop next..........

BM - what exactly would you work on to create the drop in "peel drop" that isn't achieved on the fastball. For example, Hillhouse says the drop is the same as the fastball except for the drop you do the following: a) you release at 7'oclock (not 6) and you "snap with fingers".

Would you agree with this and do you recommend any other changes from the fastball mechanics? Thanks.

Apr 13, 2010
Talked to the pitching coach and looks like we'll be going with the peel drop but the coach insists on also learning the curveball. It'd be nice if by next year she could throw just those and the change. Her fastball just isn't fast enough for the big hitters even at 10U.

She has an acceptably low amount of walks anyway.

Thanks everyone. Keep suggesting if something comes to mind.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse