What's the first movement pitch to work on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
FROM THE MODERATOR:

Forum Rule 14(c)(3) clearly requires that each post by a Daddy must begin with: "My 10YOA DD is throwing 60 MPH and has mastered six pitches. She threw four perfect games last night."

Consider yourself warned...we will be keeping our eye on you.

Jul 14, 2008
BM - what exactly would you work on to create the drop in "peel drop" that isn't achieved on the fastball. For example, Hillhouse says the drop is the same as the fastball except for the drop you do the following: a) you release at 7'oclock (not 6) and you "snap with fingers".

Would you agree with this and do you recommend any other changes from the fastball mechanics? Thanks.

I haven't studied Bills stuff. That said, I don't believe I've disgreed with any of his advise/methods.

When learning peel drop using I/R........

During the transition from 3:00 ball facing the sky toward release, work the thumb to "facing forward and down" before the rear thigh, and kill the I/R at the thigh.......Thumb down position should open the wrist slightly, allowing for a strong move up the back of the ball with the fingers.

The best training method I've come up with to learn the spin it takes to move the ball is to have the student throw it on a cement or surface, with the intent of getting the ball to "jump STRAIGHT forward" vs. "skip forward" (or sideways) off the cement or ashphalt.......Works really well with incrediballs in a gym environment also....

Just put a target on the ground about 45ft. away from the pitcher, and stand back about another 15ft and "catch the hop".

The student and coach will get instant feedback as to the quality and rpm's of the forward spin (or lack thereof).

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I haven't studied Bills stuff. That said, I don't believe I've disgreed with any of his advise/methods.

When learning peel drop using I/R........

During the transition from 3:00 ball facing the sky toward release, work the thumb to "facing forward and down" before the rear thigh, and kill the I/R at the thigh.......Thumb down position should open the wrist slightly, allowing for a strong move up the back of the ball with the fingers.

The best training method I've come up with to learn the spin it takes to move the ball is to have the student throw it on a cement or surface, with the intent of getting the ball to "jump STRAIGHT forward" vs. "skip forward" (or sideways) off the cement or ashphalt.......Works really well with incrediballs in a gym environment also....

Just put a target on the ground about 45ft. away from the pitcher, and stand back about another 15ft and "catch the hop".

The student and coach will get instant feedback as to the quality and rpm's of the forward spin (or lack thereof).

I'm not sure I can visualize the "kill the I/R (internal rotation)" at the thigh. You don't happen to have any video of this technigue that contrasts the normal fastball with I/R with one that shows the "drop ball" technique?

I like the thought of your drill that shows the ball jumping straight forward whereas the pitcher can actually see the results of the spin as the ball leaps forward instead of skipping.

Jul 14, 2008
I'm not sure I can visualize the "kill the I/R (internal rotation)" at the thigh. You don't happen to have any video of this technigue that contrasts the normal fastball with I/R with one that shows the "drop ball" technique?

I like the thought of your drill that shows the ball jumping straight forward whereas the pitcher can actually see the results of the spin as the ball leaps forward instead of skipping.

Shutting down I/R is not as hard as you think when you interupt the natural flow by pointing the thumb down/opening the wrist pre-release.........

I'll go though my video archive and see if I have any clips of peel drop.......

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
BM and Others-

My daughter has been doing the above described for the past 3 weeks. Initially she was having a tough time getting the thumb in line quick enough coming out of the backside of the circle. I found that by having her cup her wrist slightly while coming up the frontside of her circle, it seemed to facilitate the rotation of her wrist into aligning the thumb with the catcher at approximately 8 o'clock while also cocking the wrist. It really pinches the IR but seemed to allow the elbow whip to get by. She was showing the ball at 9 and life was good. Fast forward a couple weeks and her spin is still good but her pitch height was starting to get all over the place. After having her pitch into a net where I could see her full motion (instead of just catching) I found that she had stopped fully showing the ball skyward at 9 but was instead showing it to first base. She's a lefty. She said it felt much easier to throw that way but her release was all over the map. Elbow whip seemed lacking also. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill by emphasizing palm up on peel drop? To me, I see a difference.

On another note, she can hardly throw a pitch with bulletspin anymore and complete I/R. Everything seems to have a driving topspin. Should I have her also working to retain the bulletspin for a higher pitch for when the knees aren't available/called? Her pitches at the waist and above with the topspin can quickly wear out a catcher as they seem to go sky high when you least expect it. Kind of puzzled as for every positive there seems to be somewhat of a negative to overcome and I am wanting to keep her heading in the right direction.

Thanks to all

Jul 14, 2008
BM and Others-

My daughter has been doing the above described for the past 3 weeks. Initially she was having a tough time getting the thumb in line quick enough coming out of the backside of the circle. I found that by having her cup her wrist slightly while coming up the frontside of her circle, it seemed to facilitate the rotation of her wrist into aligning the thumb with the catcher at approximately 8 o'clock while also cocking the wrist. It really pinches the IR but seemed to allow the elbow whip to get by. She was showing the ball at 9 and life was good. Fast forward a couple weeks and her spin is still good but her pitch height was starting to get all over the place. After having her pitch into a net where I could see her full motion (instead of just catching) I found that she had stopped fully showing the ball skyward at 9 but was instead showing it to first base. She's a lefty. She said it felt much easier to throw that way but her release was all over the map. Elbow whip seemed lacking also. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill by emphasizing palm up on peel drop? To me, I see a difference.

Could be your emphasis on palm up DELIVERY caused her to turn the ball forward early..........It's a very fine line between GOOD mechanics with correct spin, and CORRECT spin with bad mechanics........

This is Alicia Hollowell. She has one of the best peel drops I've ever seen in a female pitcher. If you notice, I've frozen the frame where the ball is NO LONGER in her hand. She has released it at the exact point then her thumb faced forward/down......Her I/R mechanics worked from 3:00 to release, but instead of allowing the forearm to fully pronate (face the ground) after release, she emphasizes a palm up FINISH........NOT RELEASE........Which causes I/R to shut down AT/AFTER release........Which assists her timing at release to ensure she isn't over rotating the ball early........

But make no mistake, I/R is still taking her arm/hand across toward the left shoulder through release, but a palm up FINISH limits that action downsteam (after release).........Helping her control the balls spin axis at release........

2j16gb8.gif

On another note, she can hardly throw a pitch with bulletspin anymore and complete I/R. Everything seems to have a driving topspin. Should I have her also working to retain the bulletspin for a higher pitch for when the knees aren't available/called? Her pitches at the waist and above with the topspin can quickly wear out a catcher as they seem to go sky high when you least expect it. Kind of puzzled as for every positive there seems to be somewhat of a negative to overcome and I am wanting to keep her heading in the right direction.

Thanks to all

Simply put.......If your DD cannot put inside spin on the ball at will, her overall mechanics have degraded........

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Thanks, it is a relief to know that the bad stuff is creeping back in so that it can be stopped.

And thanks for analyzing it for me.

"Her I/R mechanics worked from 3:00 to release, but instead of allowing the forearm to fully pronate (face the ground) after release, she emphasizes a palm up FINISH........NOT RELEASE........Which causes I/R to shut down AT/AFTER release........Which assists her timing at release to ensure she isn't over rotating the ball early........"

There is so much good knowledge in the above. That really helps me understand how the "release" should work with I/R

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
My DD's coach always teaches fastball, change, then the riseball and won't teach a girl a drop till about age 13. Is there a good reason for this or do you think it's just the way she does it? She does not introduce new pitches very often either (It takes quite a while to get to the riseball) which I think is a good thing.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
FROM THE MODERATOR:

Forum Rule 14(c)(3) clearly requires that each post by a Daddy must begin with: "My 10YOA DD is throwing 60 MPH and has mastered six pitches. She threw four perfect games last night."

Consider yourself warned...we will be keeping our eye on you.

Look, not only did mine throw a perfect game but we were short on players. My DD had to pitch, then run to the dugout, put on the catcher's equipment and catch her own balls. Only draw back to this is we had to take the automatic out each inning. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse