Whats the best Travel Tournament Vehicle ???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Best I ever had for mass-hauling was our old 97 Ford Expedition. With third row seating, DW and I could haul half the team. Roof rack worked great for the bags (if properly arranged) and decent mileage before gas went up so much.
Nowadays (with only two DDs playing) we use the Ford Escape (sometimes with a hitch hauler) or DW's Subaru Outback. Her Scooby is newer and looks nicer than mine, though both have 230K + miles on them.

Jun 13, 2012
Ford Escape. Umm, not. And, this coming from someone who absolutely ADORES our little sport-ute. It tows our tent trailer or our utility trailer, does fine on logging roads, is small enough to be a good city driver, gets great mileage, has gobs of power when you want to throw mileage out the window. But, for two adults and one small ball player. Two big thumbs down, even with the roof box on.

Fold down one side of the rear seat, and it's about 3" too short to fit our pop up tent.

Feb 3, 2023
Digging this one up from the depths, possibly getting a new ride and wonder what everyone else drives that hauls all the gear, tent, chairs, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
The best vehicle would probably depend on how far you are traveling and how often. Are you talking tourneys only or tourneys/practice/lessons? Are you a coach?

May 18, 2022
Not gonna lie, I was hoping chatgpt had solved another problem for us.

Based on what I see at tournaments, whatever the biggest suv or truck you can find seems to be popular. I'll stick with the minivan, lots of places for kids to stash half drank chocolate milk or partially eaten cheesesticks. Not sure what I would do without the weekly game of what stinks in my van now...

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
If the entirety of our family of 5 is going, we use our 2011 Ford Expedition EL. It averages 15-17mpg on the highway. Has plenty of room even with the 3rd row up. Allows the kids to space out (and not kill each other) while providing ample room to haul cooler, bags, chairs, wagon, and suit cases (if overnight is required). It's also our Winter rig for hockey season for the same reasons. But it can range anywhere from $80 - $100 to fill up.....so that's fun.

If it's just myself or DW going with DD, then we use our Dodge Journey. Bit better gas mileage, AWD, easy to drive, and offers enough room to be comfortable. It has 3rd row, but leaves little storage room if it's up. Without the 3rd row up, there is plenty. But, at that point....a minivan may make more sense when you look at cost vs size/features.

Aug 15, 2021
I am partial to mini van. I can seat 8 people if I need to and have lot of storage with back seat folded. When I am not going to tournaments, I can fit 4'x8' plywood sheets in the back with all seats down. Can't get much more utilitarian than that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01