Whats the best Travel Tournament Vehicle ???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I was raised by a father who was born during the height of the Great Depression and raised during the War. Two uncles served in the war, and one was wounded on Okinawa, so my Dad was always adamantly opposed to owning anything Japanese. He's 89 and still tries to buy domestically made-goods. It was drilled into me at a young age that I should "Never buy that Jap crap," and it's stuck with me to this day. That's not to say they don't build quality vehicles, and many of them are made in the USA, but something about sending money to Japan always irked him.

Oddly enough, he always admired German engineering.
At least the trucks are made in San Antonio. Built Texas Tough!!!

Deep in the heart of our leading-edge San Antonio manufacturing facility, you'll find 2,600 Toyota team members proudly building some of the toughest trucks on the road: Our full-size Tundra and compact Tacoma Pickup.5 The San Antonio plant is also our first plant to integrate production facilities for many of our suppliers on the same grounds, and some under the same roof. It's truly state-of-the-art. And the Lone Star State deserves nothing less.

May 18, 2019
I was raised by a father who was born during the height of the Great Depression and raised during the War. Two uncles served in the war, and one was wounded on Okinawa, so my Dad was always adamantly opposed to owning anything Japanese. He's 89 and still tries to buy domestically made-goods. It was drilled into me at a young age that I should "Never buy that Jap crap," and it's stuck with me to this day. That's not to say they don't build quality vehicles, and many of them are made in the USA, but something about sending money to Japan always irked him.

Often the foreign cars are made more in America than the domestics but you have to look under the hood. My grandpa (served on a battleship dropping depth charges at U boats) was the same until he mysteriously bought a foreign car out of nowhere. That's how I knew for certain they were better at that time.

My grandfather was in the Navy during WW2 and was involved in a lot in the South Pacific. Same generation and mindset probably. Took him a very long time but 1989 was his first Japanese car, he bought an Accord. Followed it up with a Subaru.

Jan 25, 2022

My grandpa spent 5 months in a German prison camp after getting captured at battle of the bulge. Walked out the open gates after Germany surrendered in May having gone from 170lbs to 90lbs. He never held anything against his enemies. Said the german soldiers were starving just as badly as he was.

And he LOVED his Chrysler minivan "because it's got a jap engine in it."

Jan 25, 2022
We don't do travel ball, but archery is all travel and bow cases are huge. Plus we haul multiple players to SB games, etc. Everyone loves my Tundra crew cab. The cab is cavernous, the bed holds as much as needed, and everyone loves that the rear window rolls down. Gas mileage is awful, but I can occasionally get 18 out of it.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Always in awe of stories from those times and saddened how what they endured allows our current groups to argue about who paid for what curtains and how the American flag is offensive when displayed in America.

Jan 25, 2022
Always in awe of stories from those times and saddened how what they endured allows our current groups to argue about who paid for what curtains and how the American flag is offensive when displayed in America.
Those were wild times. My mom has all the western union war telegrams her grandmother received. MIA, POW, and the notification when he was released. Those simple two-sentence telegrams are pretty raw reading.

May 13, 2023
Amazing reads in this thread! Tip of the hat to all who serve! My dad served in the Navy on the first aircraft carriers.

I drive a Tacoma Crew Cab. Have had short bed and long bed always put a shell on them so I have a place to hunker down if I need to take a nap or camp or inclement weather comes up. On occasion save some money not getting a hotel room for an overnighter.
Added fun is 4x4 which I have taken out in different states, finding locations to explore the countryside. Good stuff!

Did have Chevy and Ford trucks in the past but have found reliability with the Tacoma. 20 mpg highway. True not the best mpg as what a minivan could do,
but then again the Tacoma can do more than a minivan 😉 more of a
multi-purpose vehicle for me!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez