What to do about collapsing lead arm/elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
lead arm

I've found it beneficial to do some lead arm drills with a short bat. We use a punching bag and then move to front toss. The front hand has to help provide direction. If it does its job, it will solve the problem of the elbow.

Mar 5, 2014
Lead arm swings with a short/light bat with the queue to throw a frisbee over the CF fence. Next, add reverse top hand swings with the same queue for the lead arm. Bat throws with the same queue. Once she learns to use her lead arm a little better, you can level back out a bit if needed(she's too steep).

Feb 3, 2014
Sometime lead arm collapse is caused because the shoulders stop turning. Check to make sure they keep the shoulders moving through contact.

As stated above, learn to turn the barrel

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I just recently got a perfect connection. We add it to our routine to emphasis keeping the box/triangle. This devise is especially useful for the ones who get the back elbow ahead of their hands. But as with any tool, it should be used moderately.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I've found it beneficial to do some lead arm drills with a short bat. We use a punching bag and then move to front toss. The front hand has to help provide direction. If it does its job, it will solve the problem of the elbow.

I also use a heavy bag, with zones taped on the bag. I use many cues, but one they seem to get right away, is to elbow me in the face, as I stand behind her. they adapt this to, "can I picture my little brother"? or other images in their heads.
I have them stand open, representing the hips already turned, bag at front foot pull back, to full tip and rip, then wail away.
Then I also, move on to front toss.

This is, a BOX type drill.

The front arm is a teaching point, as most will drop that front arm, and fold over the top of it.

For the finish, I use "bite the bicep" and "Photo opp"

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
LarsenTriangleG_zps155454d6.gif

While some don't particularly like this swing, I like it!

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.

rdbass...you're the absolute best when it comes to these gifs or whatever you call them, and I frequently turn to this exact gif as it really shows a lot of good stuff...INCLUDING the batter on deck and how she is working on her timing before she bats....good stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877