What to do about bullying coaches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Good or bad...they are blessons. Lessons that were blessings when looked back on. JMHO I would not want this for the long term. Not only is this approach unwelcoming, but if submitted to this autocratic me-lase, they will be at the mercy of all other's using the same style. There might be a real avoidable Hitler waiting for you down the roads...I would stick it out to learn the pathology...but then you must win in the end of this timeframe. Providence 2 U

Am I the only person who read this and thought.....WTH?

There is another possibility, if the other players have been on the team a while the coaches might know that those kids they are not yelling at are not getting any better. Honestly the kids I "yell at" (I never yell just call out what they are doing wrong) are the kids that I know can do better and that I feel need to understand exactly what it is they are doing wrong and need instant feedback not after practice "remember an hour ago when..." Another kid might make the same mistake and I say to myself I have told them a hundred times what they are doing wrong and taught them correctly they just are not getting any better or I know they know better and talking to them is not going to accomplish anything.

It does not sound like they ever "yell" at her for no reason, it is hard to tell exactly what is going on but kids crying are not always a sign, I had a mom tell me her kid cried on the way home and in my eyes they had a pretty good practice and don't remember anything out of the ordinary happening. The other issue that does need to be addressed as others have stated is getting better, you said she does take hitting and catching lessons which is good just make sure your video her at games and bring those to her hitting instructor so they can make sure what is being taught is translating games and she is not reverting to bad habits.

If however it is just a constant barrage of negativity that is unbearable for your DD then don't think she can't find another team, unless you guys are out in the middle of nowhere I see constant message boards always looking for extra players and catcher are always right behind pitchers in type of player needed....as always be forewarned the grass is not always greener on the other side

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2012
West US
My DD dealt with this last year from one coach. His DD could do no wrong, and he certainly had other favorites. My DD stayed, by her choice, for the teammates, commitment she had made (despite his failed commitment to coach all players), and for the coaching she received from the others on the coaching staff. The more of a jerk this guy was, the more her teammates and another coach stepped in to support her.

I still don't know if at 12 yrs old it was an experience she needed, or a choice i should have left to her, but she came out ok. She also made lasting friendships with girls that would have been cut short by walking away. We made sure car rides were us time, and remain focused on the positive memories.

Good luck to you and your DD whatever you decide, sometimes the situation is harder on us than the kids.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Good or bad...they are blessons. Lessons that were blessings when looked back on. JMHO I would not want this for the long term. Not only is this approach unwelcoming, but if submitted to this autocratic me-lase, they will be at the mercy of all other's using the same style. There might be a real avoidable Hitler waiting for you down the roads...I would stick it out to learn the pathology...but then you must win in the end of this timeframe. Providence 2 U

Typically I get lost on PC's post's also but this one came thru very clear IMO. Basically learn from this coaches style to avoid a more damaging style down the road. I liked the phrasing on this one.

Oct 10, 2011
Typically I get lost on PC's post's also but this one came thru very clear IMO. Basically learn from this coaches style to avoid a more damaging style down the road. I liked the phrasing on this one.

I think PC should be a poet. You really get a person to think:)