What makes a good softball coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
I believe there are many qualities that make up a good coach and they have to agree with the coach's personality (if that makes any sense). What may work for one coach may not work for another. There's a chemistry to the coach.

A good coach conveys to the player that he or she is there for the girls. To work with and teach them to make them better players in an honest and sincere manner. He or she helps the player advance their skill set the next step. A good coach realizes that they lead the team but it's not their team - it's the girl's team.

A good coach respects the girls and their skills and doesn't arbitrarily change those skills out of personal ego but in a way that betters the skills. The good coach can justify changing things with reasonable justification not because "I say so". A good coach uses discipline but doesn't berate players relentlessly.

A good coach understands their own limitations. I personally don't expect anyone to know all aspects of any profession and that includes coaching. It's perfectly understandable. If a kid is getting private instruction, particularly pitching and catching, it may do better to incorporate that training rather than dismiss it. That also puts the kid in a conflicted position.

A good coach is not a "my way or the highway" coach.

How's that for a start?

Those are awesome. Thanks.

Sep 3, 2009
COMMUNICATION, knowledge of the game, COMMUNICATION, teaching skills, COMMUNICATION, etc.

Dec 4, 2010
A coach should be open minded. I see too many coaches who think that their way is the highway and have an unwillingness to change or admit they are wrong or don't know.

Nov 1, 2009
What make a good coach? I think that the same thing that makes a person a good person makes a coach a good coach. The only difference is a coach has to have knowledge of the game he is teaching.

Here are some things I discuss with the coaches in our organization.

1. Show respect to all players all the time.
2. Always be prepared for practice and games
3. Don't ask the girls to do something you can't demonstrate
4. Don't expect perfection but don't accept mediocrity
5. If you can't make it fun then find something else to do.

I think a lot of what is said in other comments with regard to the rules is right on. Treat your coaching responsibilities with the same focus and determination you approach your job. Most importantly is make sure you are having fun out there. One other thing we discuss as a team is the need to be respected by your opponents and the umpires with regard to sportsmanship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck