What is "Turning the Triangle"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 18, 2010
TDS, the strawman argument is misleading. This was an improvement from the original attempt, but still wouldn't be considered good. Why are you attacking a father who is actually trying to swing the bat to learn?

Tewks, I guess TDS and others think I should be embarassed because I am no longer an athlete and merely a coach/father. I find it flattering myself that someone took the time out of their day to download the clip, grab a video camera, re-record the clip while it plays on their screen, and then post it. That's a lot of effort to put into your learning process I think. :D

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Sorry if it looks like I am attacking a father not my intention. So You believe the first aggressive movement will assist in syncing with hip thrust? Can You explain how this works?

We know you have a camera and the tech skills to make GIFs. Stand up, film it, and post it. Write about what you feel! Join in! :D

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
We know you have a camera and the tech skills to make GIFs. Stand up, film it, and post it. Write about what you feel! Join in!

I know this is Rich's baby just trying to see where you stand.
Do You use this aggressive turning the triangle drill?

Feb 18, 2010

Drills are just that, drills. No matter who creates them. I could be wrong, but it appears you are trying to start some kind of rivalry,something I am not interested in. I have clips of other drills as well not created by the same person, who you like to view those?

What does the aggression have to do with the intent of the drill?

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Do You use this aggressive turning the triangle drill?

Kind of like Howard talking about his girls being able to step out as Bustos did when baited the pitcher, my players can do this. But is it a game swing? Probably not. Are elements of this drill in their game swing? I hope so! The big thing is that my players understand WHY I ask them to perform this drill and understand what they are supposed to feel when doing it. Please, please, please try the drill and post it.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Drills are just that, drills. No matter who creates them. I could be wrong, but it appears you are trying to start some kind of rivalry,something I am not interested in. I have clips of other drills as well not created by the same person, who you like to view those?

No, I am trying to see the value in this drill if he uses it. I have said before I like the stretch and fire drill.

What does the aggression have to do with the intent of the drill?

This is my picture. I am in the box and as the pitch is being delivered I try to aggressively turn the triangle (dump the barrel /tht) and realize the pitch is up in the zone so when I fire the hip I have lost control of the barrel.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Kind of like Howard talking about his girls being able to step out as Bustos did when baited the pitcher, my players can do this. But is it a game swing? Probably not. Are elements of this drill in their game swing? I hope so! The big thing is that my players understand WHY I ask them to perform this drill and understand what they are supposed to feel when doing it. Please, please, please try the drill and post it.

I did this for 1 summer accept it was called "tht" and it didn't work.

Feb 18, 2010
This is my picture. I am in the box and as the pitch is being delivered I try to aggressively turn the triangle (dump the barrel /tht) and realize the pitch is up in the zone so when I fire the hip I have lost control of the barrel.

Sounds like you would be doing exactly what I am doing. Which is wrong. Since you like the SnF drill, I assume you have tried to do live swings with it. Have you felt a point at which the rear hip movement and the hand pivot point are synched together as one, instead of two separate moves? The intent here is much the same, except when the points are not synched you get what you see above. It is a trial and LOTS of error process, just like doing live swings with the SnF.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH

This is the beginning of the trial and error for you! Keep going! I was there too, but you have to keep swinging. You were closer than you think. The "barrel dump" term is dangerous. This is not at all what is happening. The hands should control the barrel, not dump it. If you dumb, you aren't putting the barrel on plane with speed and direction... you are dumping it and losing control! The clip you posted with the "Aha" was not dumping the barrel - even from a "strawman" argument standpoint. He was trying to actively send the barrel rearward, but he was doing it from a poor angle and wasn't getting overlap of the two moves.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
I did this for 1 summer accept it was called "tht" and it didn't work.

Also, I swing a bat almost every day. I played D1 and pro ball. A former MLB player I have known for over 10 years was at my facility last night. His words were, "You are doing something special" and encouraged me to play again. The ball has never come off my bat the way it does now. This is not an ego thing at all for me. This is about getting players (and sometimes parents and coaches!) to feel this. The sensation of effortless power. And I get kids who have to stop rounds of hitting because of laughter after they hit a ball.... Keep going!!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45