What is "Turning the Triangle"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Bucketpapi

Banned
May 28, 2008
What is turning the triangle? I have never heard this term.

Crystl Bustos is the poster child for this, whether she knows it or not.
There is a clinic video her on YouTube describing how to get palm up/ palm down at contact.
Watch her as she tells the young ladies "if you can get them to understand elbows, knob, barrel" she is turning the triangle.
It is also evident in the famous USA softball clip of her, it's right there after she drops the front heel.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
What is turning the triangle? I have never heard this term.

The shape a batter makes with the arms while in their batting stance loosely resembles a triangle. During the swing the arms move, hence the triangle moves. If the shape of the forearms and elbows remain relatively constant leading into contact, the appearance could be described as a triangle being turned.

My view is that the triangle shape gets flipped as the hands get flat, rather than turned. I've tried it both ways and I prefer the Flip. Each method will yield different results.

Jul 11, 2009
Some people call it "turning the triangle" others call it "maintaining the box". I never actually understood the maintain the box analogy until at a Bustos clinic. She used a small square (I believe the base off some hitting tee) she used a girl to demonstrate. With the arms at 90 degrees she placed a corner of the square between the girls arms so when viewed from the side it looked like a diamond. Then when batter makes first move with lead elbow and slots the rear elbow she has them stop and holds the square base up again. Still fits perfectly between arms but now is a square instead of diamond, and she explained this was maintaining the box. I always did think it looked more like a triangle. Hope this explaination works along with bucketpapi.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
turning triangle is more descriptive of the hand pivot action with live and independent hands as opposed to box formation which can encourage lead shoulder/arm fusion/pull.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
This makes sense now. Even though I'm sitting here thinking "you have to teach people this?" When I think about it, it's just one of those things I do and have never been taught... natural, I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619