What is "Turning the Triangle"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Bucketpapi

Banned
May 28, 2008
Thanks for the advice Tewks.
That clip was from last summer.
We since then have added a little bat tip which helps her in her back leg.
You can sort of see it in the other clip on her YouTube page which is a month old.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Can anyone post a clip showing the flattening of the hands? I think I understand, but would like to see it more clearly.

Thanks!

This was posted on another thread, but may be appropriate here as well. Knob to the ball vs. Barrel to the ball

Also, the "turning the triangle" is more obious on high pitches because there isn't as much tilt to cloud what is seen. I think this clip of Troy Tulowitzki is a great example. If your web browser allows for it, right click on this image and open it with Quicktime (which you can get for free from Apple.com) and use the arrow keys to view frame by frame.

Tulowitzki.gif

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Can anyone post a clip showing the flattening of the hands? I think I understand, but would like to see it more clearly.

Thanks!

To make it more relevant for the SB side... I know the pitch height isn't the same and situations are different, but this is to show "flattening the hands" and "turning the triangle."

CrystalBustos1.gif

Tulowitzki.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Is this a drill You would use to get the hands flat?

When or would you ever use this aggressive drill and for what purpose?

incv2b.gif

The hands are getting flat in this drill. Very aggressively. About as extreme of an example as Gary Sheffield is....

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
How can the hands get flat when teaching this drill?

incv2b.gif

TDS, the strawman argument is misleading. This was an improvement from the original attempt, but still wouldn't be considered good. Why are you attacking a father who is actually trying to swing the bat to learn?

Cartersball,

Keep doing the drill.....please. You don't have to video every attempt....but keep trying. The lesson is HUGE. It has little to do with how often you swing. It has to do with WHAT Tewks and I are doing....compared to WHAT you are doing.

Getting the rear hip to grab the barrel at 'go'....is absolutely critical. One move. I see two with you. I see a barrel turn....then a hip grab. Notice how far you turn the barrel....it is almost vertical next to your leg....before your hip grabs. The hip must grab at the same time your hands turn. Seat the hip socket over the ball of the femur. Turn it.

This is not hard to do....it is hard to understand. It will take some trial and error. But, again, once you get it you'll say..."what was so hard about that".

It is the single most important thing you can do for Boomer. Learn to do it yourself so you can teach it to him.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Is this a drill You would use to get the hands flat?

When or would you ever use this aggressive drill and for what purpose?

The drill is to promote a feeling. The feeling of two movements - the "turning of the triangle" and a rear hip thrust - syncing into one movement. This drill is a progression used only when an extreme feeling needs to be promoted. Sometimes I asked kids to try to hit fly balls if they are squaring the ball up and hitting the ball straight into the ground. But I always warn them that I am asking them to try it for specific reasons, at a specific time in the swing's development and will probably only apply to the next 10 swings.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
TDS, the strawman argument is misleading. This was an improvement from the original attempt, but still wouldn't be considered good. Why are you attacking a father who is actually trying to swing the bat to learn?

The drill is to promote a feeling. The feeling of two movements - the "turning of the triangle" and a rear hip thrust - syncing into one movement.
Sorry if it looks like I am attacking a father not my intention. So You believe the first aggressive movement will assist in syncing with hip thrust? Can You explain how this works?

Is this a drill You use with your students?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach