What is the fastest recorded (fastpitch) softball pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Examples of separation/pitch/contact speed.
R=coefficient: P=pitch speed: I=Barrel speed at impact speed: S=barrel speed at separation: B=Ball speed at separation.
B=S+(R*P)+(R*I) {Note: B equals 100% of S and 40% of P and 40% of I}

S R P I = B {NOTE: S, P, I ARE IN MPH}
20 40% 30 50 =52
25 40% 30 50 =57 {NOTE: 5 MPH OF S = 5 MPH OF B}
20 40% 30 55 =54 {NOTE: 5 MPH OF I = 2 MPH OF B}
56 38.5% 85 80 =119.5 (using Adiar�s Table 5.8 =450ft )
{(PP 105, Adiar�s est. of Gorbous�s 446ft throw =115+MpH}
A Coincidence?
I figured all this out on my wrist watch calculator.So it has to be right. I did all the gazintas.I'm "Fredo" smart

Oct 19, 2009
Not to change topic but...

I have never seen anyone provide typical numbers on the deceleration of a softball pitch.
A couple of years ago, Fox had radar in the MLB post-season that showed a typical fastball dropped from say 90 on release to about 82 at the plate.

I'm thinking a softball is about the same (yes bigger surface area, but greater mass probably nets out).

Do you have any numbers on softball pitch deceleration?

Prof. Adair in "The Physics of Baseball", claimed that you loose 1 MPH ever 7 feet with a baseball. I was told there are a number of variables that factor into a softball or baseball loosing velocity, air density, wind, stitch height and you get the idea. I was advised by someone much smarter than me that a softball at 35-37 feet looses about 4-6 MPH from hand to glove.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The whole reaction time thing means nothing about the pitcher. He/she is pitching it only as fast as he/she is pitching it. Whether its 65 MPH or 100 MPH. The reaction time tells me more about the batter. If a FP player has the same reaction time as a baseball player facing a 101 MPH pitch, and she hits the ball. That tells me thats a pretty good batter. But it doesn't make the pitcher any faster or any better then the pitch she throws.

Apr 25, 2010
I hear 116mph. And no I don't believe it. I faced him in an exhibition game in 1982 and he didn't throw any harder than any other top "Majors" pitcher at the time. IMHO I think the hardest throwers all threw in the mid 80's, never over 90 in games. The best I ever saw in my opinion was Mike Piechnik from Canada, and also Darrick or Darren Zack (I can't remember his first name) I never faced. I saw Ty Stofflet but never faced him either. Peter Meredith, the Kiwi, pitched for Larry Miller Toyota in Salt Lake City, and he was a real power pitcher. I was too young to face Hillhouse and only saw him at one tournament. But I wish you could get his opinion on this.

Not to be nit picky here, but there is no way you are too young to have faced Hillhouse. You were supposedly playing in exhibitions in 1982 when Bill was all of 10 years old. He just celebrated his 40th last week. I can't speak to what Bill thinks about the pitching speed claims, but I know he thinks very highly of Eddie Feigner and will flat out tell you that Adam Folkard of Australia is the #1 pitcher in the world throwing mid/upper 80's.

Jan 25, 2011
Not to be nit picky here, but there is no way you are too young to have faced Hillhouse. You were supposedly playing in exhibitions in 1982 when Bill was all of 10 years old. He just celebrated his 40th last week. I can't speak to what Bill thinks about the pitching speed claims, but I know he thinks very highly of Eddie Feigner and will flat out tell you that Adam Folkard of Australia is the #1 pitcher in the world throwing mid/upper 80's.
did you meet Adam yet?Nice guy,my Emily was at a lose for words.She said now I have met 4 of the best pitchers in the world.Emily is still in awe that she gets to work with Bill every week.We are going to the tournament in Erie,to watch Bill and Adam,did they all ready play in Ohio?You are right about what Bill said about Adam,he said that Adam currently is #1 in the world right now.

Apr 25, 2010
I haven't met Adam yet, but I have met Nick. I would love to get a picture of Maggie with the 3 of them if we can manage it before the guys head home. They play this weekend in Ohio. Unfortunately, our team has a tournament the weekend of the Erie tournament. I would love to go watch it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877