What is the best tool for video analysis?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2012
What is/are the best tools to use when it comes to hardware and software for video analysis of your pitchers? What is out there that helps you slow down the video so that you can really see what is going on? Pitching arm is still blurred and I can't not clearly see hand and ball. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Thanks to this forum, I gave the Coach's Eye a shot. I am sure it is not the "best tool", but it is sure easy, portable and convenient for a mere $5 investment. I started using it on my iPhone, then loaded it on the iPad for a larger, easier to see image. I have been taking the iPad to our indoor practice and using it to provide instant video analysis to our players. My DD is a pitcher, and I use it with her nearly every practice to record and play back the things she is working on.

Jun 18, 2010
Does the Coach's Eye get rid of the blur that the regular iphone video has?? My iphone does ok for slow stuff but pitching arm motion's are very very blurry.

The pitching arm motion, especially from the 12 to 6 position is blurry, I just checked a couple of videos. There is definitely not enough detail there to focus in on the hand and what it is doing at release. It works fine on looking at the body positioning, glove hand, foot work etc...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I use the burst of still shots or the Flip video camera to look at frames per second. I plan on downing loading the above apps, too.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I'm not an expert in video but the problem with camera phones and many video cameras is they record at 30 frames per second (fps). Even when you look at the video frame by frame the motion can be blurred. My digital (picture) camera has the capability of recording video at 60 fps which is a big improvement.

I have not used the Flip cameras but I see the latest ones record at 60fps so that might be a good option.

As far as software goes Kineova has some good features and is free: Kinovea - Video Analysis Software for Sports You could start with this and check out some more expensive software if it doesn't meet your needs.

Jul 26, 2010
That's spot on, Kevin. It's a hardware limitation of the iphone camera. The good news is that you can get a cable to connect your camera to your iphone or ipad to use software for on the spot analysis. Get a camera that has a higher frame rate, and you'll be good to go.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd