What is needed for a team to make the journey to the next level?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
We are a second 12u team, we played mostly c ball last year with about fifteen or so b games. We were very successful at c ball and did not fair well at b ball. We lost all but three games at b mind you theses were mostly by one to three runs!

What is needed to take the next step and move on and up! We have played 15 game this fall at c and have won ten of them with girls playing in very different positions and really only throwing our best pitcher twice.

What are the biggest things to push them to the next level with A ball as the ultimate goal

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
I would keep playing at the B level. If you're losing very close games, then you are competitive and ready to be there. The girls will only continue to get better by playing the better competition. The wins will come, and once they are used to competing at the B level, try a few A tournaments and see how you do in those.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The trick in softball is to win the close games.

I haven't seen your team, but my guess is that your team's fielding is weak. (I have never seen a "C" level team with decent fielding. Usually the SS can field and the 1B can catch a thrown ball, and that is about it.) You need to really start improving the fielding.

Apr 11, 2012
They have to work on their own....and alot. The players have to be determined to get better at their craft everyday and tournament. The only things that will make your team able to be successful at the B level and then to jump to the A level is good coaching, talent (of course), skill and discipline.....and some team chemistry I suppose....but go to local 12A tournaments and see for your self if your players have the potenial to compete at that level....but for the immediate future, I would play at the highest level that makes sense for your team, as I alway preach "you can't teach experience" ......and most teams who move up experience growing pains.....however, some teams do not ever recover from prolonged failure and become apathetic....so you need to determine if your players are going to have the skills to compete every game at whatever level you plan to play at....

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Stop focusing on wins. In my opinion, you already have a B level team. What are you teaching the girls if you win most games at C level and win a few more plastic trophies? My goal is to always go .500, with the losses being games that we at least competed in. It's a 12U team! The goal should be about developing their talent to play at higher levels when they get older. You can't do that by playing inferior teams and only pitching your #2 or #3 pitchers.

Jun 11, 2013
Keep in mind as a second year 12U team you will be often playing younger teams. You need to move up to B and maybe some A. To really play A you need a couple of really good pitchers and a deep lineup. If you rely on your top 4 to score all your runs you will struggle as A. There is nothing worse than playing in a game that you know the other team can't really beat you. IMHO it's way more fun losing a well played 3-2 game than to win 10-0 because the other team isn't any good.

Dec 7, 2011
To me there is one of two paths to take based on the important evaluation you need to first make on your teams players AND parents:

1. Assume you conclude you have dedicated players AND families that know what they would be getting into with "A-level", THis means, like some others here stated, that SB becomes a "way-of-life" to a degree. It has to for the "A-level". If you have any dissent you might have to release that player. Then next year you enter only all "B-level" events with a couple A's towards the middle-end of the season. At the outset of this endeavor you meet with the all the families and lay it out there - "We have a stretch-goal here folks. We are going to face challenge. We are going to lose but gosh darnit we WILL win some too. We have played competitiely at "B" level so I know you guys can do this. With the extra investment that everyone is going to make heck we might even get a win of a known "A" team....." (or yer version.....)

2. Assume you conclude you have questionable A-level-dedicated players or families - If you have players that don't invest or don't really have the raw talents for the next level then just use a gradual testing method to see how high they can elevate their play. Next year do most B level with a couple C but don't make too big a deal out of it. Still give them the rah-rah speach but this way you are not pulling the rug out from underneath the rec-ball culture that some folks prefer.

(Of course I assume you know the escalated dedication required to make & support a successful A-level player. To me it was a night and day difference to take my DD from "C" to "A".)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad