What is IR?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Thanks for giving us all a laugh before the long weekend!

On a more serious note, try this. Hold arm out in front of you, with the palm up to the sky and parallel to the ground. Now rotate the arm and hand so the palm is facing down to the ground. Now rotate palm facing back up again. Do this quickly several times and the hand will blur. According to BM, this is the fastest part of the body and good pitchers use this action for maximum effect. In its most pure sense, that is the visual definition of "Internal Rotation". If you are a pitcher and have mechanics that push the ball down the circle and finish with the elbow in the "strong man" arm or "L" position, this critical arm rotation (IR) is not being utilized.

This post is EXACTLY why I went into such detail in my original explaination or I/R..........This type/depth of understanding is UNVALUABLE to the success our young ladies who aspire to be the best THEY can be..........

Well done sir........

Believe me......I never thought my explaination of the mechanics of "throwing underhand" would open SO MANY EYES and change so many peoples understanding of beauty of fastpitch.........

I'm sure I've cost a few coaches some "fees"..........But hey.......I'll bet I've allowed many others who are actually qualified to coach pitching to be recognized for how good they are.........

And hopefully..........I've stopped a few from young ladies from "quiting" because they either never got it, or stopped progressing all together.........

That my friends is the best feeling of all.........

Best regards..........

Aug 2, 2008
I'm sure I've cost a few coaches some "fees"..........

LOL. We left our local pc because of your article, I tried to talk to him about it and he wouldnt have none of it. I got ahold of John Gay and we ended up driving an hour and 10 minutes south for lessons, his eyes lit up when I talked to him about your article. It may be common sense to some but it wasnt to us and it sure helped out. Thanks again BM.

Sep 3, 2009
LOL. We left our local pc because of your article, I tried to talk to him about it and he wouldnt have none of it. I got ahold of John Gay and we ended up driving an hour and 10 minutes south for lessons, his eyes lit up when I talked to him about your article. It may be common sense to some but it wasnt to us and it sure helped out. Thanks again BM.

I tried three different PC's in our area and all three taught get behind the ball, push it down wave it up, elbow to the catcher mechanics. This website has saved me a lot of money.

May 22, 2011
during this motion, you are leading with your elbow and your hand is facing third just before release if you are right handed, at release your upper arm decelerates and your forearm accelerates and rotates so the ball will be released towards the target and the wrist/fingers snap to spin and release the ball for a fastball/peel drop, is this the basic motion.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Us old farts didnt get so technical. We simply referred to it as "Bringing the fingers to the inside of the ball".

Oh yeah, not EVERY movement pitch requires this to be done.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
hal, which pitches do you feel the fingers are needed to be brought inside the ball

That would be a VERY long list. You have to remember that there is more than one way to throw about every pitch. The riseball as an example; If you throw it as a closed or an open pitcher, they are different, quite a bit different. If you throw it as a cut rise or a bent fingered rise, they are different, different release points , wrist angles, etc. On both of those you would want IR. The Flick rise, you would but nowhere near as much as the other two.

The cutter, the way I taught it, no IR. The way others have taught it, yes.

Curveball; one way I taught it, fingers brought to the inside of the ball BUT around the front of the ball, not behind. The other way I taught it, it would be considered exactly opposite of IR.

Palm ball drop, no IR.

This listing could go on a long time.

Jul 21, 2008
This post is EXACTLY why I went into such detail in my original explaination or I/R..........This type/depth of understanding is UNVALUABLE to the success our young ladies who aspire to be the best THEY can be..........

Well done sir........

Believe me......I never thought my explaination of the mechanics of "throwing underhand" would open SO MANY EYES and change so many peoples understanding of beauty of fastpitch.........

I'm sure I've cost a few coaches some "fees"..........But hey.......I'll bet I've allowed many others who are actually qualified to coach pitching to be recognized for how good they are.........

And hopefully..........I've stopped a few from young ladies from "quiting" because they either never got it, or stopped progressing all together.........

That my friends is the best feeling of all.........

Best regards..........

Boardmember any chance you could break down the mechanics of another pitch like the Rise, Drop, or Change?

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
That would be a VERY long list. You have to remember that there is more than one way to throw about every pitch...
Good post Hal. A very interesting reminder that pitchers, coaches and dadcoaches will be much more effective if they understand spins and releases. Hoping as mine develops (only 10 right now) that she will be a smart pitcher. Not just a hard thrower because of her understanding of IR mechanics and strength.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles