What if anything does this mean?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
So a few weeks ago my DD was at her hitting lesson at a local D1 college. She is blessed to have the AC a former D1 conference player of the year right around the corner from us. During this particular lesson the HC was in the building and stopped in to talk with me. My DD has been around the school and facilities for about a year now and is known by the HC. During the conversation the HC confirms my DD's age (12) and then asks height and weight. She then starts asking about how her catching is going and her home to first time (run). I of course answer all the questions and then the HC goes over and talks to my DD about her lesson and gives her some homework to improve her batting mechanics, after that she departs and we conclude the lesson.

What exactly was the coach getting at with the age, height, weight and speed questions? I have never dealth with this before as my DD is a 2019 so dealing with college coaches is very new to me. Any insight/opinions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 24, 2013
I am not sure, who knows what her body is going to be like in a few years.

Well I guess she is not going to get shorter but other then that?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I am not sure, who knows what her body is going to be like in a few years.

I agree. Currently she is 5'1'' and 100lbs. tall and skinny. 3.4 average to first, as fast as 3.1 and as slow as 3.7. Just looking for insight as to what similar experiences people have had and if it turned into anything. I'm obviously not thinking my DD is going to get a verbal tomorrow as she has work to do still.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Height and weight are typical questions, theoretically a taller athlete with normal weight will produce better than a shorter. I use to cringe when a college coach would ask DD's height ( sight unseen ), when I'd answer 5'5 you could "feel" them think "she's short". On the other hand my nephew is 6'5 and the college coaches would shove each other out of the way to get to him. lol

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Its how coaches make small talk with parents. It could mean nothing or it could mean something. But it steers the conversation toward your dd and it keeps the coach from having to talk to yet another person about actual recruiting of 12 year olds, all while being polite and attentive.

Jul 26, 2010
They have to ask their age because they're not allowed to talk to HS aged kids. The rest of it sounds like a coach just being a good guy and knowing he's in a position to make some peoples day by having some conversations. He also knows that if the kid does become a great softball player, he'll have established a relationship early and have a better chance to recruit. Well worth 5 minutes of his time.

-W

Jul 10, 2013
Just to answer Amy's question. YES, my DD is on the heavy side but has fast hands through the strike zone and hits for power. When you can hit home runs nobody cares about height and weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413