What does the typical pitching lesson cost?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2010
My daughter has been begging to be a pitcher for a few years now. I finally gave in and had her work with me on just pitching from about 20'-30' without a full wind-up. I am no expert, but it appears that there is some potential.

She is 14 and will probably be playing on the varsity softball team as a freshman. She has been playing TB for 5 years now and plays 1st and OF. I found out that the HS she will be attending has zero pitching. If I get her lessons now, there is the possibility that she will pitch for the next 4 years in HS and possibly TB as well as she plays on a "B" level town team.

I called a local and reputable pitching instructor and he said that his private, 1 on 1 lessons are $65 an hour. With that said...is this what I should expect to pay?

Jun 24, 2013
In our area that sounds about right, maybe a little on the low end but around that price range.

DD likes 1/2 an hour lessons which works for me and our pocket book.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
In our area that sounds reasonable. I've seen $40 - $45 for half an hour at a few place and $50 - $65 for 45 minutes at others. So $65 for an hour sounds like the right ballpark. Sometimes you get a discount if you buy in bulk, like prepay for 4, 8, 10, etc. lessons at a time.

Or you could move to Arizona and go to Amy, her rates are awesome.

Aug 13, 2010
In our area that sounds reasonable. I've seen $40 - $45 for half an hour at a few place and $50 - $65 for 45 minutes at others. So $65 for an hour sounds like the right ballpark. Sometimes you get a discount if you buy in bulk, like prepay for 4, 8, 10, etc. lessons at a time.

Or you could move to Arizona and go to Amy, her rates are awesome.

Would love to. Ironically I used to live in Mesa. Now in NJ :(

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Wow, I need to give up my job and do that. I went and looked at area rates where I live. I was amazed it was so high. One place now has pitching lessons for $40 for 20 minutes. 20 Minutes? How do you get anything done in 20 minutes? That is a total rip off and I understand the goal is to make the parents pay for more minutes.

If you look around, and I did in my area when my child was starting, you can find good instructors who charge a lower amount but have either 2 or 3 in the same lesson. Where my dd started, that gentleman had 3 lanes all netted in so that no one catching would be hit by another lane's pitcher. Back then, we paid $20 for a half hour and they were never a half hour. Typically, the next lesson would have at least one no show due to team practice or tournament and so, dd always got to go over to that lane and keep throwing. It was a great time back then.

BTW, I saw one guy's rate and it is $65/hour. I once did a clinic where he also spoke on hitting. That price is highway robbery for lessons from him.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes. Just fly here. First introductory lesson is $25.00 for 45 minutes. A package is 6 lessons for $125.00. Also, when I get bored I call you to see if you want to come hit, at no cost. It is how I stay fit.

Most of my girls start at 8 yo, or whenever they want to start pitching. It is not unusual for a 12 yo to start lessons. We cover A LOT of overhand throw. So, I am not teaching rise ball. Mostly FB, CU and drop.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I called a local and reputable pitching instructor and he said that his private, 1 on 1 lessons are $65 an hour. With that said...is this what I should expect to pay?

I have paid anywhere from $35-45 for a 30 minute pitching lesson, so $65 an hour is pretty reasonable, especially if it is in an indoor training facility.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
That may be the difference. In Tucson, I am in the great outdoors. So, if pitching just isn't working for the girl that day, we switch up the lesson and work on something that does. 90% of the kids that I have can't afford to pay, the little that I charge.

Aug 13, 2010
Yes. Just fly here. First introductory lesson is $25.00 for 45 minutes. A package is 6 lessons for $125.00. Also, when I get bored I call you to see if you want to come hit, at no cost. It is how I stay fit.

Most of my girls start at 8 yo, or whenever they want to start pitching. It is not unusual for a 12 yo to start lessons. We cover A LOT of overhand throw. So, I am not teaching rise ball. Mostly FB, CU and drop.

Maybe the next time I visit my friend in Apache Junction I will drive down to Tucson with my daughter. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach