What do you think of the Insider Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Amy, Don did a study on how lining up the knuckles effects bat speed. By not lining up the knuckles and being offset they found the impact was about a 5% improvement in bat speed. The study was done with Sue at ULCA, I believe. So the facts support this.
If you have a bat speed meter, you can do the same study. Put a sock or something on the hands that allows the bat to move during the swing in the hands and see the impact. I think they used plastic wrap.
So I'm not a supporter of this toy.

May 28, 2008
my daugther was going to a coach who switched her to lining up the knocking knuckles. We listened and probably shouldn't have I guess. How much offset would you say is good. Back when I played baseball I have my knocking knuckles lined up with the knuckles closer to the wrist (don't know what they are called).

May 12, 2008
I used to disagree with people I read who posted the knuckles should be lined up. After awhile, I decided the kids quit paying attention to that idea and did what was comfortable about 10 swings into bp so I quit worrying about that one piece of poor advice. :)

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Place the bat in the bottom hand where the fingers join at the palm of the hand and then placing the bat in your top hand about ½ to ¾ of inch away from the line where the fingers join the palm of the hand towards the thumb.

The grip is with the top hand door knocker knuckles lining up with the face knuckles of the bottom hand.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
SB, the Chucker is used in the top hand only. If Don Slaught did the study and uses the Chucker, how can you disagree?

They are only $15.00 and I haven't gotten a chance to practice what he taught me. I can't see me at the park throwing a tennis ball w/o a dog. :) I have a dog she just won't retrieve. I guess I could act like I am teaching her. I would probably attract everyone else's dog.

If I number my fingers from the top 1, 2, and 3 - with door knocker knuckles being 2, I have always lined up (bottom hand) 3 and (top hand) 2. As I swing, the bat rotates and the 2's are lined up at extension.

Don Slaught talked a little about the axe handle bats and he wasn't a fan, because of the required grip. Although, he did talk about axe swings and hammering and where your strength comes from in those activities.

People stood around and taped all of this. I would have, but I didn't know that was allowed.

I highly recommend U of A's players camp Dec. 19th and 20th.

Oct 14, 2008
At a recent hitting pratice I was asked by one of Salughts Associates to try this...... after watching my dd go thru it and walking thru the swing mechs with it, something just diddnt feel quite right, the hands just diddnt seem to be in the correct spot at contact, we discussed a bend here or there would solve the issue and came to the conclusion that one size dosent fit all, my dd being 6ft has a longer zone and her hand path will not be the same as a kid 5.1 .although the mechs are the same. My advice to anyone if you are mechanicly inclined is to flatten a bat head and try the same movement you will notice your hands are in a different position at contact.......... I understand the selling point behind it, just think the design isnt made for everyone

Tim

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Thanks Tim. I just think there are better ways or tools to teach with than this device. I didn't touch the axe handle bats, but Tim is an expert I even built one we are proud of !!

Dan

May 7, 2008
Tucson
They had me put it in my right hand. I bat righty. Then, they kept saying "skip a rock". Ha. I am 55 and this was in front on 125 other coaches. Twice, I couldn't do it. Keep the wrist in front of the elbow and it is more like snapping my fingers. My elbow is toward my waist and my hand was lower than my elbow.

They (Candrea and Slaught) kept saying keep all the weight on the front foot.

I got it on the 3rd try and it just felt good.

Watching the MLB play offs, I can sort of picture how this drill would help. Those batters seem more coiled or compact or lower - than I normally am.

But, I am the blind leading the blind, because I haven't tried this since the clinic.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors