What do you see g/b/u (good, bad, ugly) on my 14U's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Hard to 'maintain' much on a swing with a ball that is up, down, in , out, fast & slow. Box no, possibly or close to a triangle if I had to pick a shape.:eek:

There is no need to "build a box" prior to swing initiation, or to attempt to "maintain a box".

Building a box prior to swing initiation creates excessive tension, which is exactly what you don't want.

At swing initiation, the goal given to the hands serves the purpose of building structure in the forearms. This structure will remain intact for the first few frames ... i.e., during the 'Around'. You shouldn't be trying to purposefully force and maintain a box shape.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ihowser,
Has 'turn the barrel' been a focus for your DD's swing. Just asking because some seem to blame that cue/thought/coaching . I'm just trying to see if by instructing a hitter to 'turn the barrel' as a hitting cue was problematic/source of the problem and that may have cause a 'flaw' in your DD's swing.

From what I have seen/read, there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. I'm not sure many are disputing "turn the barrel". My perception is that if the only focus is "turn the barrel" and that action doesn't have the proper support structure first, it could lead to problems. Just my $.02.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
JMHO for some hitters 'turning the barrel' is all that is missing with their 'properly supported structure'. It makes 'the' difference.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
There are many hitters that completely bypass the 'Around'.
I agree...the along part:
33bgthj.gif

is the easier part. The around/turn the barrel:
rclb9g.gif

Seems to be the harder part of the swing. Get that correct....

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Ihowser,
Has 'turn the barrel' been a focus for your DD's swing. Just asking because some seem to blame that cue/thought/coaching . I'm just trying to see if by instructing a hitter to 'turn the barrel' as a hitting cue was problematic/source of the problem and that may have cause a 'flaw' in your DD's swing.

Yes, this has been a focus. Primarily as opposed to "knob to the bar while creating lag" which is a common teaching in youth hitting.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Ihowser, I was of the opinion that we talked you out of the "maintain the box" method of teaching back in 2011 ... http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/5263-i-need-some-fresh-eyes-look-my-dds-swing-2.html.

maintaining a box has not been a goal but maintaining some form and spacing of the elbows has been as opposed to an early barring for the lead arm which seems to happen often in many youth hitters and when it does it leaves the barrel behind. This has been at the initiation (around) part of the swing. AFter that we hoped to find extension.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
maintaining a box has not been a goal but maintaining some form and spacing of the elbows has been as opposed to an early barring for the lead arm which seems to happen often in many youth hitters and when it does it leaves the barrel behind. This has been at the initiation (around) part of the swing. AFter that we hoped to find extension.

A common mistake people made with 'connection devices' is believing that the spacing between the elbows remains fixed at swing initiation. It generally takes some closure (reduction in spacing) to establish structure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pitch Machine Pros