What do you see g/b/u (good, bad, ugly) on my 14U's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Nice shift, tight hand path, good open toed plant, but needs more resistance with posture behind vertical. Notice how her back foot continues to travel towards the pitcher post contact? This is from poor resistance and too tall. Overall pretty good, and maybe I'm splitting hairs, but if she got planted a touch sooner to really apply some ground force she'd hit much harder. I'm guessing she's a .500 hitter with 90% being singles???

Feb 14, 2010
Howser,

Her swing is all upper half and front side instead of rearside. I would recommend SnF and turning the barrel.

Jan 24, 2009
Nice front leg cock with a touch of hip load, but she gives up all of her lower half load early. At the speed of the current clip, I see her standing on her front leg with her back foot a couple inches off of the ground at contact. There is certainly a weight transfer, but there is no purposeful drive from the back leg...more of an unweighting.

Top side, I see the left arm extend and lock and then the whole assembly rotating. It is causing the left arm chicken wing. There is some hand involvement but I'd like to see more hands, less forearm/arm/shoulder assembly.

I'll bet this kid can hit, but...if she is standing on that front foot to hit a fast pitch, the change-up will be her nemesis. I'll venture a guess that she has a very high BA but rarely goes long.

I could have been more helpful back when I knew it all. ;)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Take this for what it is worth. I am not a paid hitting instructor...

Personally I see more good than bad. She starts off by getting some good stretch. Unfortunately she ends up losing it by moving her hips and hands together. Instead of her hips pulling her hands, her hands get in front of her hips.

vq357p.jpg

Personally I would like to see some more of this...

4vshgw.jpg

In regards to her hands. As mentioned earlier, I do like the stretch she is getting with them. However, she is pulling them a little too far back AROUND her shoulder for my personal taste. Almost seems as though they would get trapped behind her. I would prefer to see them stay in front of her shoulder or on the catcher's side of the shoulder instead of pulling around. Hopefully that makes sense. Good luck!

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
My $/50
I'd reduce the turn a bit going back, have the shoulders wait longer for the hips to pull, and hold the hinge angle a tick longer so the barrel doesn't come out so soon.

Mar 21, 2013
Other than creating a leverage point to better hit against the front side as stated, a little arm extension through the zone would help her cover the outside half of the plate a little better. My guess is she struggles there?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom