What do you see g/b/u (good, bad, ugly) on my 14U's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Significant elbow stall and lack of extension.

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. FFS - Explain cause and remedy to this because I know that is correct and next time you are in Ohio i will buy you a coffee.

She does hit for very high average. Power has been OK but not great until recently when she started to pop some bombs to left. 14U.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
From the thread http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-practical/11095-here-my-dds-latest-swings-entering-senior-year.html ......

qzlr93.gif

zssd1.gif

These are sisters, not the same player so you make a good point.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Howser,

Her swing is all upper half and front side instead of rearside. I would recommend SnF and turning the barrel.
cranker, I don't like this advice for this young lady. Your DD instinctively knows how to get the handle to barrel launch - staying inside the ball and hitting @ right angles. This young lady turns and loses the barrel too early. Hand path is shot, that's why she stalls the rear elbow. It's the bodies effort to help the hands - which have lost control of the barrel. She needs to learn the proper hand-path. How/when to load and release the barrel. Let her learn how extension works.
lhowserDD.gif

FP, you are also correct. She takes her hands with her and gets no stretch.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In regards to her hands. As mentioned earlier, I do like the stretch she is getting with them. However, she is pulling them a little too far back AROUND her shoulder for my personal taste. Almost seems as though they would get trapped behind her. I would prefer to see them stay in front of her shoulder or on the catcher's side of the shoulder instead of pulling around. Hopefully that makes sense. Good luck!

This is an issue that leads to her tying up her swing to her upper body and not being able to throw/cast/send/deliver/flail the barrel into the 'Along'.

ml6mx3.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
During the "Around" the barrel is rotated 'around' the rear forearm, whereas during the "Along" the barrel is flailed/cast/sent/thrown 'along' the rear forearm.

Don't be afraid of 'arm action'. You can use your arms all you want during the throw/cast/flail/delivery of the barrel into the 'Along'.

Around:
4t5xk5.gif

Along:
33bgthj.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
While this here wasn't a healthy swing, she at least had a sense of allowing the barrel to pivot around her hands/wrists. We don't see this in the more recent swing.

1ysg08.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32