What do you see g/b/u (good, bad, ugly) on my 14U's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Nice to see you posting Howe. I see the problem as the opposite of what you see. She appears to be in the golf "stuck position" to me. This would stem from the left side opening up with out the arms along for the ride. Seems to me her barrel turn is late, rather than early, as it relates to her opening left side. Have another look, would you?
lhowserDD2.gif

Top hand fully supinated within the first few frames - while the hands dither behind to turn the barrel, and premature ulnar deviation of the bottom hand? That's late? You see it as the stuck position. Stuck why? Answer: She's focused on turning the barrel. To give her the advise to turn the barrel even more is not a good solution. She needs to know how to load the barrel into her swing, rather than unloading it. Load the barrel WHILE getting the hands/handle to the proper barrel launch position.

In regards to having the arms or hands along for the ride, I'm not into that nonsense... And based on the drill that Barry Bonds used to practice, neither was he:

bondsdrill.gif

Last post for me CB. You can have the last word.

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Top hand fully supinated within the first few frames - while the hands dither behind to turn the barrel? That's late? You see it as the stuck position. Stuck why? Answer: She's focused on turning the barrel. To give her the advise to turn the barrel even more is not a good solution. She needs to know how to load the barrel into her swing, rather than unloading it. Load the barrel WHILE getting the hands/handle to the proper barrel launch position.

Last post for me CB. You can have the last word.

I apologize if my post felt like I was baiting you; I really was not, and am genuinely glad to see you post. I completely agree with you that giving her that advice is not helpful. There isn't really a point where she can correct by focusing on turning earlier, but that doesn't negate what I see as being late, relative to Other checkpoints. She IS in the stuck position, and that is a late condition. IMO, If she were to delay her forward momentum, she would do better. She would then be turning the barrel earlier, relative to that measure, and others. Crankermo suggested SnF, and I would think properly executed HG's too.

Ok, I'll give you the arms along for the ride one. Not a well developed thought. I was going to edit that, but figured I would take my medicine. Lol.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
While this here wasn't a healthy swing, she at least had a sense of allowing the barrel to pivot around her hands/wrists. We don't see this in the more recent swing.

1ysg08.gif

Not same girl. Different player here but I see the point

Life can be tough for those that buy into PU/PD nonsense.

2i24zu8.gif

Very difficult to swing out-from if you believe in maintaining a Palm-up orientation.

Simply let the barrel pivot.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Life can be tough for those that buy into PU/PD nonsense.

2i24zu8.gif

Very difficult to swing out-from if you believe in maintaining a Palm-up orientation.

Simply let the barrel pivot.

We've never discussed Palm Up/Palm Down. I am guessing it is an outcome of her maintaining a box as opposed to moving into "along" as you have described it.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Ihowser,
Has 'turn the barrel' been a focus for your DD's swing. Just asking because some seem to blame that cue/thought/coaching . I'm just trying to see if by instructing a hitter to 'turn the barrel' as a hitting cue was problematic/source of the problem and that may have cause a 'flaw' in your DD's swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
My cue to my DD...finish the swing!

Sure .... but I doubt you would also promote 'maintain the box'.

Try it ... get up and perform a dry swing, give yourself the cue of finishing the swing while maintaining the box. Feel the bind?

I was talking to Yeager one day when a coach walked up and asked a question. The coach was having issues with his hitters and described his "maintaining the box" method to teaching the swing. Yeager's answer was simple ....... destroy the box.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Sure .... but I doubt you would also promote 'maintain the box'.

Try it ... get up and perform a dry swing, give yourself the cue of finishing the swing while maintaining the box. Feel the bind?

I was talking to Yeager one day when a coach walked up and asked a question. The coach was having issues with his hitters and described his "maintaining the box" method to teaching the swing. Yeager's answer was simple ....... destroy the box.

Hard to 'maintain' much on a swing with a ball that is up, down, in , out, fast & slow. Box no, possibly or close to a triangle if I had to pick a shape.:eek:

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ihowser, I was of the opinion that we talked you out of the "maintain the box" method of teaching back in 2011 ... http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/5263-i-need-some-fresh-eyes-look-my-dds-swing-2.html.

Ihowser, your dd’s upper body mechanics resemble a PCR-like “maintain the box” mechanic, with so much pre-set tension in the arms that the upper body takes over and a chicken wing is the result.

Here is an older swing. As you can see, she’s had this “chicken wing” issue for a while now … and it is part of her connection issue.

mt5uvr.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp