What are your favorite training aids?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Here is a question that I have for you. There are tons of training aids and all kinds of ''gadgets'' out there that supposedly help your improve your skills.

Some of them are great.
Some of them may help a bit.
Some of them are useless.

What are the best training aids that you have tried and have really help you, your daughter, your students (if you are an instructor) or your athletes?

Here are two that do a great job for me:

1) Zap and Hit Pro - Amazon.com: Pro Performance Zip-N-Hit Pro Baseball Trainer Endorsed by Derek Jeter: Sports & Outdoors

Ball is coming from the front view with a trajectory that mimics a real ball that is pitched. Can change speed and forces the batter to adjust and swing properly.

2) Bat Chute
It is being promoted to increase bat speed. As an exercise physiologist, I can tell you that the rationale behind the explanation is flawed. A chute slows down your swing, it doesn't speed it up. You have to train fast to build a fast swing.

However, it does a really good job of teaching the athlete to drive-through the ball or staying longer through the zone. The resistance of the chute also forces them to use their whole body. This is why I like it.

What are the training aids (hitting aids, pitching aids, fielding aids, coaching aids, etc.) that you have used and have really help you?

Marc :)

May 12, 2008
I agree. If money's an issue, make a rope bat like this. Photo 28 of 31, Analysis

A cheap and HUGELY effective aid is two or three bungee cords on a back stop or net in front of the hitter to give a visual aid in lining up the arms, torso and bat while hitting off a tee into the net. I liked this idea but when Englishbey had me try it myself, I was surprised what a difference it made even for someone who understood what the goal was.

May 31, 2009
One of the best soft toss hitting machines that I've seen and used is the Ultimate Hitting Machine. It's new and marketed by Ultimate Sports Co.
You can view a video of this soft toss machine and purchase one now at this web site Beebe Sports Inc. : Home or at HittingWorld - Wood Bats, Training Aids, Instructional Videos, Pitching Machines and more top-of-the-line Baseball & Softball products! According to Ultimate Sports, it will soon be in most sporting goods stores.

This soft toss machine can be used by a coach or parent to work with kids on proper hitting techniques.......like a batting tee, but the kids get to see a moving ball.
A person steps on a foot pad and ball pops up. The person is all loaded up ready to swing when ball comes back down into strike zone.
Once the kids learn the proper way to swing, they can practice on their own using this machine. It's amazing how facinated kids are with this machine and they will practice for hours hitting off it.
It can be used as a hitting station in practice, or for pre-game warm up, or kids (and adults) can use it at home.

Coaches that I know that have purchased this machine, work with the kids hitting off a batting tee first in practice, then kids move to this soft toss machine and hit into a net, then the kids move on to live pitching.

IMO, it will be one of the most popular hitting aids when it fully hits the market.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207