Weird one today, catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Two local colleges playing, a Juco and D2. Rain at my house so I just decided to watch it on Ustream from the couch. The D2 has their catcher jump up and "attempt" to cover ( I guess ) the throw to 1b. It doesn't matter if the ball is hit to 3b, SS, pitcher, or 2b.........she is running up the line. After seeing this done a dozen times I recorded it with my iPhone off my iPad, so the quality is poor.

As long as no runner was in scoring position, the catcher hauled butt up to first everytime. Only time I didn't see her do this was on long fly balls to the outfield. Commentator said the right fielder never moves to back up the throws.

Am I missing something about this strategy?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Same reason a BB catcher backs up first base. I don't see many do it here in the NE (other than my DD), but what's the downside?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Hmmm. I see the catcher get down there, once in a blue moon (which there was last night.) But certainly not on every play.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
My catcher friend GM, and Amy. GM, I know we send ours in BB to angle the backup but this girl ran up the line almost every time ( like a foot race with the runner ) wish I had video of all her runs.

Amy, maybe this was a coaching "point". Maybe she hadn't been doing it in practice and this was a form of punishment, to run out every batter. It was really weird to see it over a whole game, when there were times it was surely unnessesary.

Only downside, would be the wasted energy I guess over a long weekend tournament. If your catching staff is limited.

To edit: This was in the 6th, she was not running as fast in this inning as she was early in the game. Seemed to be running out of gas. It's a double header, I'm going to see if the next catcher does the same.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
This was discussed awhile ago. When you're not playing tournament play where a catcher has to be behind the plate several games per day than this is the way it should be. However, during a tournament it will wear out your catcher.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This is the way I was taught, and continued to do it right up until I was 50yo as long as there was no runner starting on 2nd or 3rd.

And in doing so, I added about a dozen put outs a season @ 1B when OF would throw behind the runner who would not be used to a C covering the base.

To me it is just good, ol' hustle and a smart catcher.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This catcher does the same in game 2, but she doesn't run directly up the line with the runner as the first one did. ( of coarse the play I did video, she didn't run up the line like the 15 other times, I think she was tired by then :) )

This catcher seemed to play it more correct, she was in motion to backup, but not racing the runner up the line. I really wish I'd been able to show you guys what I saw over the first 5 innings, it was odd to watch. AND the last batter in the video, bunts and the pitcher overthrows 1b for the first time in the two games. :rolleyes:

Title says game 1, but that was my typo. This is the second game in the DH.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
GD - I think I get what you're saying. The weird thing isn't the C backing up first, it's that the catcher is running almost directly up the baseline rather than swinging out to be in better position for a botch or overthrow.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd