We should all be thankful....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Does everyone hate the bat on the hips drill? I have and still use that to illustrate that the hips pull the rear foot, not the other way around. I have found it useful with kids who arm swing. (after teaching overhand throw of course:))

The "Hitting Videos" thread has a video called "Explosive Rotational Hitting For Beginners thru High School", that has a drill similar to what you describe. I like your description that the hips pull the rear foot. "Coil-Uncoil using The Move" is how I think of the weight shift. Ted Williams described the hip movement as a "spinning action with the head as the axis". The drill you describe seems to follow that description.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Mike, don't be so easily convinced. I teach that the hip initiates the rotation of the trunk. You do not rotate on the back foot or toe, they don't even have to be on the ground.

The bat behind the back drill and looped in the elbows is fine for feeling this rotation of the axis.

Aug 2, 2008
I'm not convinced Amy, just going to look into it. I did take a few swings and overhand throws and I did feel a bit of pressure on my big toe but I think its a no teach.

And I have them hold the bat in front of the hips just like the video, I thought the bat behind the back made them over rotate. I havent read hear much lately and there seems to be more talk about getting the hands going and this elvis thing, so I have got some reading to do.

K

Kingston

But i think mistakes happen in game and it is one of that mistake and she should control her and bring down the mistakes for next games. And try to improve your planning and focus on the next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors