we learned 2 things today

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 1, 2021
Let's discuss instead of argue.

You said you witnessed 3 mph from one $300 bat to another. Thats +10' distance.

I have witnessed 6 mph difference from one $300 bat to another. Thats +20'.

With defenses having limited reaction time, batting average increases with exit velocity. Home runs increase too.
That might be true for an individual. But when you let thousands of girls swing the same bats there's not going to be a difference of 6 or 3 MPH in the averages.

Bats are balanced differently and weigh different amounts than what's on the sticker. Some girls are going to swing some bats faster because of that. Some girls are going to swing some bats faster because they like what they look like and that gives them confidence.

I don't think you'd find much difference with the same swing speed and identical quality of contact.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
That might be true for an individual. But when you let thousands of girls swing the same bats there's not going to be a difference of 6 or 3 MPH in the averages.

Bats are balanced differently and weigh different amounts than what's on the sticker. Some girls are going to swing some bats faster because of that. Some girls are going to swing some bats faster because they like what they look like and that gives them confidence.

I don't think you'd find much difference with the same swing speed and identical quality of contact.
Over the the years there have been many bats that were so much better that those bats were banned from play. Sorry but paying $300 doesn't mean you are getting the best bat.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
This “lab coat” says otherwise..

I can go into the physics (later when I waiting for DD to get out of practice) if you want to be bored..
The paper should have been labeled 'grip matters on the overwhelming majority of batted ball collisions'. Its a misleading title and a pointless study.

Sep 1, 2021
Over the the years there have been many bats that were so much better that those bats were banned from play. Sorry but paying $300 doesn't mean you are getting the best bat.
Those days are gone. But you're correct, it doesn't mean you're getting the "best bat", because there is no "best bat". Only the best bat for you.

Jun 8, 2016
The paper should have been labeled 'grip matters on the overwhelming majority of batted ball collisions'. It’s a misleading title and a pointless study.

So where is your evidence/study? In that article Dr. Nathan explained the physics (the part where he talks about a transverse wave) and why it applies to every bat-ball collision..did you understand his explanation?

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Time will tell if you prediction of no bat ever getting banned again holds true. Until then people will continue paying over MSRP for used bats that out perform the others.Screenshot_20230122-144139_Drive.jpg

ian

Jun 11, 2015
So where is your evidence/study? In that article Dr. Nathan explained the physics (the part where he talks about a transverse wave) and why it applies to every bat-ball collision..did you understand his explanation?
I talked with Nathan about this. He said "grip doesn’t matter" only applys to "blackout" collision. Also acknowledged that grip matters in getting the bat up to speed on those rare occurrences of blackout contact.

Also the paper used some data from rubber balls bouncing on steel plate studies.

Did you read the study? Its a misleading title.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
That study supports my belief that grip matters on every swing and the overwhelming majority of bat/ball collisions.

Jun 8, 2016
I talked with Nathan about this. He said "grip doesn’t matter" only applys to "blackout" collision. Also acknowledged that grip matters in getting the bat up to speed on those rare occurrences of blackout contact.

Also the paper used some data from rubber balls bouncing on steel plate studies.

Did you read the study? Its a misleading title.
I said grip possibly matters (because of ability to generate bat speed) BEFORE collision in my first post.

Also yes if you hit the ball close enough to your hands the transverse wavemay have enough time to reflect back to ball bat collision location before the ball leaves the bat such that grip might matter (because of distance and the wave having a shorter period). I thought we were talking about good contact..

Last edited:

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I said grip possibly matters (because of ability to generate bat speed) BEFORE collision in my first post.

Also yes if you hit the ball close enough to your hands the transverse wavemay have enough time to reflect back to ball bat collision location before the ball leaves the bat such that grip might matter (because of distance and the wave having a shorter period). I thought we were talking about good contact..
We agree that grip matters on every swing.

We agree that grip matters on collisions off the sweet spot towards the hands.

How fast does the vibration travel to the hands on balls hit off the sweet spot towards the end of the bat?

Do you agree that grip matters on the majority of in-game bat/ball collisions?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma