we learned 2 things today

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
The composite BBCOR aren't very loud. The marruci aluminum cats and demarini voodoo are terribly loud, but exit velos are higher.
I misspoke. What I should have said is everything else being equal, a louder bat has a more inefficient collision.
In the ball-bat collision the ball and bat have a certain amount of total energy before the collision. Some of that energy is lost due to heat and vibration (of the bat and air, e.g. sound) during the collision (as an aside, the trampoline effect is a way to transfer some of that bat vibration energy back to the ball). Obviously the louder bat will have more energy loss due to sound but there could be other aspects of the designs which make that irrelevant (and hence the louder bat COULD have a more efficient collision)

Last edited:

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I misspoke. What I should have said is everything else being equal, a louder bat has a more inefficient collision.
In the ball-bat collision the ball and bat have a certain amount of total energy before the collision. Some of that energy is lost due to heat and vibration (of the bat and air, e.g. sound) during the collision (as an aside, the trampoline effect is a way to transfer some of that bat vibration energy back to the ball). Obviously the louder bat will have more energy loss due to sound but there could be other aspects of the designs which make that irrelevant (and hence the louder bat COULD have a more efficient collision)
I think we need the lab coats. A wood bat makes a louder noise when the ball is hit harder.

Jun 8, 2016
I think we need the lab coats. A wood bat makes a louder noise when the ball is hit harder.
That doesn’t go against anything I said. Try and keep up.

If you want to get into a physics argument with me I am game..it won’t end well for you.

Also if you are trying to be derogatory with your continued "lab coats" reference then grow up..

Last edited:

ian

Jun 11, 2015
You're either not listening, or just being obtuse. The exit velocities between these high-level bats is minimal, and they probably don't go the way you think they do.

Either way, I'm done arguing with you.
Let's discuss instead of argue.

You said you witnessed 3 mph from one $300 bat to another. Thats +10' distance.

I have witnessed 6 mph difference from one $300 bat to another. Thats +20'.

With defenses having limited reaction time, batting average increases with exit velocity. Home runs increase too.

ian

Jun 11, 2015

If you want to get into a physics argument with me I am game..it won’t end well for you.

Also if you are trying to be derogatory with your continued "lab coats" reference then grow up..
So a louder bat could have a more efficient and less efficient collision. Profound. Who needs lab coats?

Does how hard you grip matter on the average softball and baseball swing?

Jun 8, 2016
Does how hard you grip matter on the average softball and baseball swing?

With regards to grip (and I will answer even though I know you are stirring shi$ since you know I have had this discussion on here before) at impact grip doesn’t matter but it could effect swing speed before impact.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
With regards to grip (and I will answer even though I know you are stirring shi$ since you know I have had this discussion on here before) at impact grip doesn’t matter but it could effect swing speed before impact.
You are incorrect. Grip matters at contact for the majority of ball strikes in an average game. Lab coats agree with me.

ian

Jun 11, 2015

On sweet spot hits (the loudest contact) do you think the ball is in contact with the bat while the sound is being emitted?

Physics is interesting.

Jun 8, 2016
You are incorrect. Grip matters at contact for the majority of ball strikes in an average game. Lab coats agree with me.
This “lab coat” says otherwise..

I can go into the physics (later when I waiting for DD to get out of practice) if you want to be bored..

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
On sweet spot hits (the loudest contact) do you think the ball is in contact with the bat while the sound is being emitted?

Physics is interesting.
Not sure to be honest. Doesn’t matter though. Sound being emitted is energy which could have otherwise been transmitted to the ball. Not a lot (we are not talking about a shock wave from an atomic bomb) but energy nonetheless..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45