Wcws

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
The frame rate of a TV camera isn't going to let you see the spin of the ball accurately. You have to be present to win. If you're going off what you see on TV, you're just guessing.

-W

ESPN uses LDX and Sony cameras, which are capable of up to 360fps. I'm getting a 60fps feed on the game. Slow motion of the pitch and the fps rate is plenty sufficient to see the spin on the ball.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Smith believes the ball is rising. It is only people on boards who want to argue the semantics of trajectory (ie, I threw the ball up with some spin or maybe no spin) over (the yes, annoying) 'late sharp break' (spin made it rise). However it got there, it went higher---or in or out or down. Simple as that

And you know this how?
I could just as easily say: It's people on boards who want to interpret Michelle's actual words into a more general explanation that would be better accepted.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
So you're saying that because a wheel looks backwards at 15-24fps, a ball could seem like it's axis of rotation changed?

Bingo! I'm waiting for someone to explain how aliasing could change the rotation axis too. Speed of rotation - yes, reversal of direction in the same rotational plane - yes, changing direction of rotation - no. If I am wrong someone please step in and explain. I'm all ears. Otherwise, lets stop blaming it on the camera.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
The frame rate of a TV camera isn't going to let you see the spin of the ball accurately. You have to be present to win. If you're going off what you see on TV, you're just guessing.

-W

This needs an explanation please. So far, I don't agree, but you can convince me otherwise. See post above

Jul 26, 2010
ESPN uses LDX and Sony cameras, which are capable of up to 360fps. I'm getting a 60fps feed on the game. Slow motion of the pitch and the fps rate is plenty sufficient to see the spin on the ball.

They're still broadcast at 60i which is a bit under 30FPS. I'm not saying anyone watching on TV is wrong, I'm just saying get off the couch and go watch in person, tell me if what you see is what you think you see on TV.

-W

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
They're still broadcast at 60i which is a bit under 30FPS. I'm not saying anyone watching on TV is wrong, I'm just saying get off the couch and go watch in person, tell me if what you see is what you think you see on TV.

-W

Dang - I wish I could but you know the job thing. Hey wait... that's why we have TV and televised games. :)

Besides, I don't have slow motion in person. :(

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W

-W

The raw footage is 360fps. They slow that down and rebroadcast and you can see it clearly on the TV. It isn't rocket science.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach