"Walk-On" - Is there a Best Strategy or Best Plan for this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2013
There have already been a couple of transfers out. He also expects some attrition this Fall. It may be after next season before he gets it where he wants it. Or... he may be yanking my chain. :cool: :confused:

Sep 29, 2014
Assuming she already picked a school for academic reasons if so just send an email to coach letting them know you will be attending in the fall and would really be interested in trying out...and include resume, stats and some video from those JUCO playoffs, there might be age restrictions on camps but if there is not ask if you could attend or visit facilities during a summer open house/orientation.

I'm sure you are aware already but I would double check with compliance officer to make double sure everything is OK given her unique set of circumstances.

Each school probably has their own spin depending on coach so best to just ask and be upfront.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
Not sure how this happened - if it was any of you out there in DFP-land "god-bless-ya!!",...... but DD just got contacted by the coaching staff of the school she has been targeting!!!!!

I got everything crossed :)

Dec 7, 2011
Not sure how this happened - if it was any of you out there in DFP-land "god-bless-ya!!",...... but DD just got contacted by the coaching staff of the school she has been targeting!!!!!

These situations always remind me of one of my favorite moments in one of my favorite movies. When ya listen to Steve Martin's gramma here replace "Roller-coaster" with "Softball"....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1h_hmdVJAc

Oct 2, 2015

That's awesome!
I just did 2 cart wheels for ya...and since I'm as graceful as a 2-legged giraffe...it wasn't pretty...

May 4, 2012

Great story..Cream always rises to the top!

Feb 15, 2016
Which 3 were walk ons? Also, there is a difference between a "preferred walk-on" and a regular "walk-on". A preferred walk-on is a player that the coaches are aware of, but for whatever reason she does not need any athletic money. Can include players who have some academic money, but no athletic money.

I would like to add that the term "preferred" walk-on generally means that the player is guaranteed a spot on the roster and is not "trying out" for the team like the other walk-ons. Many players go the preferred walk-on route to play at the school they really want to play for. Most of these players had plenty of scholarship offers from other schools but want to play for a particular school and were not offered a scholarship for whatever reason. As JAD stated, the staff knows about these players and was recruiting them just like the players who got scholarships. This is very common in football when players want to stay home and play for the team they grew up watching on TV. In terms of money, in a sport like softball with partial scholarships, it can be cheaper to walk on at your home state public university than to accept a partial scholarship to an out of state school.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would like to add that the term "preferred" walk-on generally means that the player is guaranteed a spot on the roster and is not "trying out" for the team like the other walk-ons. Many players go the preferred walk-on route to play at the school they really want to play for. Most of these players had plenty of scholarship offers from other schools but want to play for a particular school and were not offered a scholarship for whatever reason. As JAD stated, the staff knows about these players and was recruiting them just like the players who got scholarships. This is very common in football when players want to stay home and play for the team they grew up watching on TV. In terms of money, in a sport like softball with partial scholarships, it can be cheaper to walk on at your home state public university than to accept a partial scholarship to an out of state school.

Being a preferred walk-on can also help with the admissions process...the Hope Scholarship has made admission into the University of Georgia very difficult, but a preferred walk-on is almost guaranteed acceptance, and as [MENTION=14179]let it be fun[/MENTION] mentioned, going to an in-state school, especially one with something similar to the Hope Scholarship can be significantly less out of pocket than a partial scholarship to an out-of-state school.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Have always worked the WOP in our processes from the beginning. DD has always walked on the TB teams she played for....including this summers team. :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06