Waiting, Waiting, and Waiting some more....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2016
Hey, you know what? I actually would appreciate that. Why spend 3 hours out in the hot sun if he already knows you don't stand a chance. No waiting around for decisions afterward either. Do it in a kind, respectful way, and I think you would gain respect from parents and players.

That org, and its one you've probably heard of from SoCal (Anaheim) region, may have 150+ kids tryout for one or maybe 2 teams
He thins them out fast.

Aug 11, 2016
Our DD just got an offer from the team that really wanted her (with the organization she was last season). She is moving up to 14U and couldn't be happier as she is moving up with some of her friends from 12U.

She will see a lot of action in this team, and that is what we were looking for.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
That's awesome. Congrats!

I am getting more and more nervous. DD is doing an org tryout tonight. At this point, it's down to three teams. We did privates with all and all asked her to come to org tryouts. Ugh. We're even having to cancel a planned family vacation next weekend to make it to the other two. I was really hoping to have this all wrapped up this week. She does have the one offer, and even though he is saying the roster is filling, he's still posting on the local forums about every other day. I feel fairly confident that spot will still be there next week, but I can't be sure. Nail-biter for sure.

Jun 3, 2015
I feel your pain.. Our daughter tried out yesterday and said they would get back to her by Monday. If they wanted her we would have already heard back..They may be asking other girls first and if those girls don't work out then they will call my daughter.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Update: One of the three teams referenced above had DD come out last night and catch, field, and hit once more. Just to make us sweat a little more, HC told us he needed to "sleep on it." UGH. He actually called about an hour later and offered DD the starting catcher position. Wanted immediate commitment. We told him she has two more tryouts and we need until the end of the weekend. He said he's seeing another catcher on Sunday and, if he likes her, whoever commits first gets the starting position. Ugh. We are tempted to commit, but I am a little doubtful about him truly playing an "A" schedule (this will be a new team, but with an established org) and I've heard a few negative grumblings about the coaching staff, although I've liked them so far. So, I'm breathing a sigh of relief. Still not over quite yet, but close.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Update: One of the three teams referenced above had DD come out last night and catch, field, and hit once more. Just to make us sweat a little more, HC told us he needed to "sleep on it." UGH. He actually called about an hour later and offered DD the starting catcher position. Wanted immediate commitment. We told him she has two more tryouts and we need until the end of the weekend. He said he's seeing another catcher on Sunday and, if he likes her, whoever commits first gets the starting position. Ugh. We are tempted to commit, but I am a little doubtful about him truly playing an "A" schedule (this will be a new team, but with an established org) and I've heard a few negative grumblings about the coaching staff, although I've liked them so far. So, I'm breathing a sigh of relief. Still not over quite yet, but close.

So he has strung you along for how long and made you jump through extra hoops along the way and all of a sudden he needs an immediate answer right this minute?

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
So he has strung you along for how long and made you jump through extra hoops along the way and all of a sudden he needs an immediate answer right this minute?

I know, right? She's trying out for another team tomorrow that says they will notify by Tuesday night. I guess we'll have to try to catch the coach and "feel him out" because there's a 48 hour gap between Sunday and Tuesday. Very annoying.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Sounds like coaches, parents, players, everyone are stringing everyone around. Nothing to get annoyed about regarding coaches, you are doing the same thing with stringing people along. Just part of tryout season and everyone involved should understand that.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle

What does this mean?? As in he'll take the other but they won't be the starter? I think 0% of the time the starting position can be given out at tryouts. What if one player improves a ton and the other is lazy and in June it isn't even close any more. I would never offer a "starting position." I would indicate whether they will likely be a starter NOW but no promises for the whole almost 12 month season...

Last edited:

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
What does this mean?? As in he'll take the other but they won't be the starter? I think 0% of the time the starting position can be given out at tryouts. What if one player improves a ton and the other is lazy and digresses and in June it isn't even close any more. I would never offer a "starting position." I would indicate whether they will likely be a starter NOW but no promises for the whole almost 12 month season...
Offering "starting" positions really should be a red flag, because from the other side of their mouths, these same coaches will look a kid in the eye and say, "Just keep working hard, kid, and you'll get there" when asked in March, "Hey, Coach, what do I have to do to earn a start or more play time?". That just kills me - because the "starting" deals were made the previous July, so like Seattlecoach said - the girls who work their tails off all Winter still don't stand a chance in June, regardless of improvement. On the flip side, say a coach promises your dd will be a starter, then Susie Softball steps up and gets her mojo on in the Spring - so now she's a starter and your dd is benched. Are you happy?

I'd run from any team that offered my daughter promises of starting or play time, because either scenario is bad. And it is very telling about the coach and his/her philosophy. Girls have ups and downs, and I want a coach who recognized when my kid needs to work harder and pushes her to earn a spot, and then rewards her efforts by allowing her to succeed.

Best thing I heard all tryout season: "I don't have a child on the team. I don't give private lessons. I believe every girl needs play time to be developed, and I can assure you that your daughter will have equal opportunities to shine and grow. We really want her to have fun, enjoy the game, and become really, REALLY good at softball." SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1